BPS Drum Deflector Help

rtboswell

Full Fledged Farker
I love my drum, but I'm having trouble getting the temps to run anywhere close to even. Without a heat diverter the center is obviously super hot and with it, the sides are running hot and the center is something like 30-40 degrees cooler than either side. I'm using a large pizza pan as the diverter and I've tried placing it on the bottom u-bolts and on top of the charcoal basket itself. No real difference.

I'm going to drill some holes in the center of the pizza pan and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a pattern? Also, what are the most even temps I should expect on a drum using a well tuned heat diverter? I'm hoping to use the drum at comps as a chicken cooker, but I need to have some control on the evenness of the temps. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

I just use a pizza pan that already has holes in it and the variance in temp from the center and the outside of the grate is only about 10 degrees

They have them at Wally World for less with out the nonstick on it. I got mine for less than $5. Looks like the same thing except for the nonstick.

It is easier to form a 2" Cylinder from expanded metal and affix it in the middle of the charcoal basket BWTFDIK

Back