Butcher Paper Wrapping Tips

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here are some tips I learned while in Texas visiting some of the great BBQ places around Austin. As PitMaster T has pointed out, there is no difference between the red/brown butcher paper and the white butcher paper. Of the places I visited Snow's wrapped in foil, Franklin, Kreutz, and Smitty's used the red/brown paper while JMeuller used the white paper. Here is a pic of a piece of meat being unwrapped at JMueller's.

picture.php

One thing about butcher paper is that it's pretty heavy gauge stuff and is stiff. So, to make it more pliable and easier to wrap around meat, I learned that it helps if you ball the paper up a few times before wrapping the meat with it. Just cut as much as you need and ball it up into a ball. Flatten it out again and ball it up again. Do that a few times.

I have gotten to the point where I put a light coat of meat drippings or spray oil on it before I ball it up then I just let it sit balled up until I need it. This makes the paper much more easy to work with.

picture.php

Here is a pic of a BP wrapped chucky. When you wrap, make sure the last fold is on the bottom so the weight of the meat can hold it in place.

picture.php

And, BTW, this time of year, don't forget to save some treats for the Q monster!

picture.php

I got to talk with Stacy Franklin about how their BBQ is cooked. She told me, among other things, that they wrap mainly to protect the bark while the briskets are all stacked upon each other in the cooker. They wrap near the end of the cook time, stack the briskets upon each other and then they unwrap each brisket as they are served.

Here is a pic of the chucky after a 1 hour rest. Notice how the paper is well saturated with juices from the meat. This, I believe, helps to keep the meat moist and really does protect the bark.

picture.php

Here is a pic of the chucky just after it was unwrapped. Notice the great bark. The chucky was rubbed with only salt and pepper.

picture.php

Thanks for looking!

I am using white, a big tip, get wide paper, mine was too small, and is a pain to use.

Agreed. I have an 18" wide roll. When wrapping briskets or larger cuts I have to overlap 2 pieces in order to get a wider wrap. I've also achieved "wrappage" with just the 18" wide paper by wrapping diagonally. I start at one corner and roll to the opposite corner, folding the sides over in the middle of the "roll up". This does cover all the meat, but you end up having to use more paper and end up with double and even triple coverage, which may or may not matter, but it makes it a real PIA to unwrap without it getting messy.

Restaurant Depot sells 24", 30" and 36" wide rolls. I think I'm gonna get a roll of either 24 or 30.

So when you cooler the meat to rest,do you wrap it again to keep from making a total mess of the cooler and towels you have inside?

I had a butcher sell me a roll of seafood wrap paper for $10. It is not plastic lined but it did not seem to hold up very well. Should I have used two sheets maybe?

I tried butcher paper on the last brisket cook for the first time. To tell the truth, I didn't see a big difference in the bark from wrapping in foil. It was alittle more of a pain to probe the brisket with the paper layers, but maybe I used too much paper. Ended up unwrapping it and cooking the brisket for about another hour until it was done to add in probing.

It was the best brisket I had ever made, but not sure if the paper added to that or I was just lucky.

I used some butcher paper with my short ribs this past saturday. I feel like there's less moisture loss this way vs foil. Did you find the same? I had it wrapped for a good 2 hours and the only thing that happened was the paper got a bit greasy but not wet. Contrast the foil I end up with a good amount of the Au Jus.

I had a butcher sell me a roll of seafood wrap paper for $10. It is not plastic lined but it did not seem to hold up very well. Should I have used two sheets maybe?

That's a good question!

I used some butcher paper with my short ribs this past saturday. I feel like there's less moisture loss this way vs foil. Did you find the same? I had it wrapped for a good 2 hours and the only thing that happened was the paper got a bit greasy but not wet. Contrast the foil I end up with a good amount of the Au Jus.

It appears that the paper absorbs the juices and keeps them in contact with the meat during the cook rather than just running out and off the meat like foil.

Thanks for this Post Boshizzle. Just when I thin k I've made a good brisket, You Pro's are pushing it to the next level!

That's a Good Thing!

So are we talking butcher paper, or the lined butcher freezer paper with one shiny side and one dull side?

If the latter which one does the meat touch, shiny or dull?

Back