180 point winners

quarters69

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How is it possible that at a kcbs event in KS that there were 9 180 point results, how is that possible??? Let me know what you think!!!:heh:

All 4 major catagorys, or dessert and sides?
Ed

Well, folks are pretty good out there in our Nation's heartland and they do have a lot of good contests so I am curious as to the event in question, must be awesome.
I have seen it done with one or two teams but certainly per category, not all 4.
Any more details to share?

The event was in great bend, kansas. the 180 were as following, 4 180 in ribs, 3 180 in chicken, 2 180 in pork. I'm not saying it is not possible, but i would think a 180 is like a pefect game in baseball, it should not happen that often, and certainly not 9 in 1 event?!!:-D:-D

Look at who the competition was, heaviest hitting field of 26/27 you'll just about ever see. Scores could have been a little high, but amazing field overall

The event was in great bend, kansas. the 180 were as following, 4 180 in ribs, 3 180 in chicken, 2 180 in pork. I'm not saying it is not possible, but i would think a 180 is like a pefect game in baseball, it should not happen that often, and certainly not 9 in 1 event?!!:-D:-D

Impressive..

any idea as to how many of the 180's came from a specific judges table ?

Last edited:
I'd say the judges were strongly encouraged to score high. I not this has never happened at any other contests. :rolleyes:.. Hope you got the sarcasm cause I laid it on pretty thick.

I have no idea what tables scored what and the cbj % was only 71%. The teams that were in it were good but just seems a bit unreal

All I can say is that this was the hardest comp I have ever attended to date with 5 of the 27 teams going to the Jack and I believe 3 of the other competitors winning either the Royal or the Jack in previous years (Some have won both). I can say this; I'm pretty sure that of the 180's handed out they were given for great food and not average food. I was told by at least 5 judges after the comp that this was some of the best all-around food they have ever eaten at a comp.

I would bet with the field they had there that everyone stepped it up a notch. Awesome job folks!

I worked the contest at the turn in table for the Saturday contest so I was able to sample from the volunteer table. The turn-ins were excellent then. I judged for the Sunday contest. At my table were 3 master judges (I know it doesn't really mean they are better, just experienced). After judging one of the categories we discussed our scores and we all agreed on one sample being a 180. The cooking was tremendous all around. I myself was shocked at how many 180's were awarded, but everyone I overheard said it was the best top to bottom they had ever judged. I don't think scores were given away, they were earned. Look at the brisket placings on Sunday, two of the top Team of the Year teams were in the bottom 3.

I also talked to the KCBS rep, he felt the scoring was not out of line with the quality of the teams involved.

In the judges' eyes, the average bbq for those 2 contests was good enough to win just about anywhere else. We rocked a 687.xxxx on Sunday, good enough for 11th place. It was by far our highest score ever, but also the best bbq we've ever turned in.

Thanks for your input guys, now that i know some of you were there and tasted it, it makes it a little more understanding, i wish i could of been there if it was that good!! :bow: Just still hard to believe!!

I can understand the argument about the number of good teams at a contest, I've cooked in a few of those. But why wouldn't the Sam's Club Invitational have that many 180's? Wasn't that the best of the best?

i agree with that,if the best were at sams that makes sense:clap2:

Some Judges are like home inspectors. They think that it is their job to find something wrong.

hee hee hee........

Fantastic show from all the teams,this is what it's all about.

Back