Comp Brisket Holding Time

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How long do you let your brisket rest before slicing and turning in? I hold mine for around 45 minutes. Not sure if it matters, but I cook my briskets HnF. I consistently place in the top three but always looking to improve.

I wouldn't change what you are doing if you are consistently in the top 3. I hold mine for a couple of hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the brisket and when it decides to get done.

Just a question, but can you hold a Brisket too long? I hold brisket for 2-3 hours sometimes.

This past weekend I held for nearly 5 hours. Wasn't the intention, just worked out that way.

Thanks Guys. I was just curious about the time. Was wondering if it would stay moist longer, in the box, if I held it longer.

Nah, as long as you vent it before putting it into the Cambro, otherwise it will continue to cook off. I have held them 5-6 hours with great results.

i've held for 6 plus hours and 2 or so hours. same results....

as far as i understand HNF though, it benefits from a longer rest time to redistribute the moisture within the meat and break down the collagen because it came up to temp so fast.

Nah, as long as you vent it before putting it into the Cambro, otherwise it will continue to cook off. I have held them 5-6 hours with great results.
Same here, we normally hold for 4-5 hours in the warmer and have been consistently finishing in the top of the field.

For me, up to 6 hours rest doesn't seem to hurt it. I would want at least an hour resting time on it.

When you vent do you leave it vented in the cambro or do you seal it back up before you put it in?

I use a cooler and I toss it in wrapped in a towel. I "burp" the cooler every hour or so to release the steam build up.

Ain't that the truth!!!

I wouldn't change what you are doing if you are consistently in the top 3. I hold mine for a couple of hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the brisket and when it decides to get done.

When you vent do you leave it vented in the cambro or do you seal it back up before you put it in?

I let the first large meat that comes off vent/cool to 185 in the cambro to warm it up and the rest cool on the table before going in. Yes seal back up after they have cooled.

Back