Cooking the point and flat separately

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cooking brisket tomorrow and I'm thinking about separating the point and flat and cooking them separately. I've cook a many a brisket but I've never tried this before. Thoughts anyone.

Put the point on the rack above the flat if possible. We only cook separated anymore.

When I've cooked a brisket this way, it hasn't turned out as good. (that's low n slow or hot n' fast)

I am no brisket expert by any means, but I have started separating the point and flat before cooking. So far I am liking the results.

My thinking is that these are two very different muscles, that do not cook the same way or for the same amount of time. That being said, many great brisket cooks cook whole packers, and wouldn't consider anything else.

Have done them both ways. More surface = more bark.

Thanks everyone. I have decided to stick to the tried and true cook together. Ill post picks later.

I guess its an alternative to when you cannot make both sections cook properly because of meat cut, gear, technique or skill limitations. At some point when you begin wasting money on brisket because your flats are tough, you just give up and go for "good enough," right? While points come out fine, flats are never as good as when they are cooked properly with the point attached. Its the extra buffer the mass of the point imparts on the flat that makes them so tender...uh... provided you can actually cook it right in the first place.

My experimentations with separation were done to speed things up. I saw better results cutting briskets longitudinally, and in 2/3 - 1/3 sections - with me cutting the brisket about 1/3 into the point flat section with 2/3 of the thinner flat with a bit of point on top of it.

But if you come away actually liking the results of flat cooked separated from its point, then your perception is farked up and probably more attune to dry - tougher briskets anyway. This is not an insult!!!!!!!!! Its just who you are based on your experiences or personal preferences.

To those that know me... the sentence above is not necessarily an insult. I liken these people (the many who have comparatively limited taste experience limited by regional restrictions - which can even happen to people who see/participate in bbq pagents) to those that marvel at tasty, sliced then seared fajitas, but never experienced the true regional superiority of traditional skirt steak, seared and served medium rare and sliced thin thin thin on a freshly made tortilla. Or those that like a thick tomato based spaghetti sauce with beef meatballs who have never had a full sicilian sausage fresh fennel meatball made with a sugo (gravy) that got its flavor from broth, some freshly squeezed tomatoes and a hint of orange zest... reduced down after hours of cooking..... its about finding the END of limits you can reach of flavors not shortcuts. Shortcuts are not bad... they are just about mediocrity. Once again... I am not saying that its about doing it one way... obviously I do things differently, I am just saying, in a respectful way, that if you prefer this technique based solely on its results, then you personally for whatever reason, have a "mediocre" set taste, due to circumstance and/or culinary shortcomings because of region/limitations/ or just that you have no personal interest in attaining excellence because its too hard.

There is nothing I guess wrong with "good enough." Entire franchises of burger joints have grown to huge businesses based on "good enough."

Last edited by a moderator:
I cook low and slow with the two separated. This allows me to get more smoke in the meat as well as flavor from the rub/bark. We put the point on top of the flat as it is fattier and drips on the flat to keep it moist while cooking. They cook at 205 for 8 hours and then are wrapped to take them to finishing temp. If you are not going to wrap then you better leave it whole in my opinion. Seperating the point makes awesome burnt ends with a lot of flavor from your rub. Some people like just the beef flavor but I like it once it has been enhanced with the injection and rub.

Back