What's For Dinner, Tomorrow with PrOn!

mikes1212

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try Beef Ribs for the first time, so after work I went to the local grocery store, and found nothing. Headed to BJ's Wholesale and they have 2 packages. I bought one of them. I have no idea how to properly prep these guys, nor if the quality of the meat is above or below average.

Here are my baby backs and the beef ribs.
picture.php

First, prep the pork ribs. Silver skin removed.
picture.php

Next, a little FM on both sides
picture.php

A good coating of Ployboys Bovine Bold, and wrapped to rest overnight in the fridge.
picture.php

Beef ribs rinsed and as much fat and silver skin removed as I could get. Home brewed rub was applied and they were placed in the fridge to rest.
picture.php

How am I doing so far with the beef ribs? Anything better, or advice for next time? :pray:

Last edited:
At this point, I cook them indirect 225°F over a drip pan for 3 to 4 hours until a probe slides through easily

^^^^ Yea that, but I cook at 275. It will take longer than you think to cook.

I use Jack Stacks meat and poultry rub topped with Tony C's.

Salt & pepper (or whatever you like on brisket) rub, 250-275 until probe tender (around 3 hours for individual ones). It is too late, but I do not trim the individual ones. The fat on the singles helps protect the meat IMO.

The Zen of Beef Ribs, looks like a good read, thanks Campdude! I hope to have some cook PrOn tomorrow, as a follow-up. They will be going on the XL BGE around 9:30 or so. I will shoot for 250/265 dome temp, and hold it there for the duration and see how it goes.

On another note I was amazed at the price of beef! Yikes it's going up!

The Zen of Beef Ribs, looks like a good read, thanks Al Czervik! I hope to have some cook PrOn tomorrow, as a follow-up. They will be going on the XL BGE around 9:30 or so. I will shoot for 250/265 dome temp, and hold it there for the duration and see how it goes.

On another note I was amazed at the price of beef! Yikes it's going up!

FTFY... :thumb:

You're welcome and looking forward to the PrOn... :becky:

Part II......

Getting ready to place the short ribs out on the smoker
picture.php

picture.php

On the smoker
picture.php

After 3 hours
picture.php

Finally off the smoker
picture.php

picture.php

But wait.... What is this? Could it be.... MOINK balls? Another first! :heh:

Frozen Italian meatballs, that were wrapped in bacon. After the picture was taken, a light coating of rub was applied. Not sure if these qualify for real MOINK balls, but here we go!
picture.php

After about 30 minutes on the grill, a light coasting of BBQ sauce was applied.
picture.php

I do not have a picture of when they came off the grill. they were quickly polished off before I could get to my camera. Can this make me a IMBAS Certified MOINK baller?

Last edited:
Everything looks great and I wouldn't complain. Heck, I probably would be too busy eating too say a word.

Everything looks wonderful, and those definitely qualify as Moinks!

Hallelujah! :clap2: I'm still fairly new to the site (at least I think so) so I was not sure about those MOINK balls I made, and I did not want to be wrong about the recipe! I had never done MOINK Balls before.

The (main) cook consisted of beef short ribs and pork baby backs. The baby backs were moist and tender and the PloyBoys Bovine Bold did a nice job with the flavor. The beef ribs, another first time cook, came out OK. I will do better next time!

Last edited:
Everything looks great and I wouldn't complain. Heck, I probably would be too busy eating too say a word.

PJ Exactly, that's why I did not get pictures of the monk balls when they came off the grill. I was too busy stuffing my face!

All in all I am happy with the outcome! I hope next weekend is sunny and warm so I can have another go at it!

At this rate I'm going to have to go on a diet! :doh:

PJ Exactly, that's why I did not get pictures of the monk balls when they came off the grill. I was too busy stuffing my face!

All in all I am happy with the outcome! I hope next weekend is sunny and warm so I can have another go at it!

At this rate I'm going to have to go on a diet! :doh:
I know about eating too much Q. I had to take this weekend off because I cooked 3 racks of baby backs and sausage for the guys at work Thursday. I spent the morning at home cooking and didn't have to do any work until after we finished eating at 1pm.

Thanks everyone! My first post about a cook with pictures! It was fun!

Temps were in the high 50's for me! With the winter the way it has been, it was like summer out there for me! I'm glad I did't miss the opportunity to get out there and smoke some good eats!

I don't think I mentioned it anywhere, but I used 4 fist size pieces of cherry for the smoke. I usually use hickory on pork ribs, but since I had short ribs on there too, I opted for a lighter smoke.

Back