phosphates

schmitty28

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have heard a lot about phosphates to help keep moisture in brisket is it used on pork shoulder or butts? and if so what is it? where do you get it? how much? and what kind? thanks

The various commercial injections have phosphates in them (Butcher BBQ, Kosmo's, FAB). Also both Butcher BBQ and The Ingredient Store sell food grade phosphates if you want to add some to your own injection.

I just bought the Komos Moisture Magic. It is just the Phosphate. You mix it with water. I guess you can mix it with your own injection. I got it from the BBQ Equipment Store.

this may be a stoopud question with a lot of people using them, but do they really work and is there a down side to it? or a way to do it wrong and mess up your Q

this may be a stoopud question with a lot of people using them, but do they really work and is there a down side to it? or a way to do it wrong and mess up your Q

Yes they really work. The phosphates you inject are replacing the phosphates lost when the animal died. I can't think of a downside. They are pretty much tasteless.

Butcher and Packers sells brine pumping phosphate (1 lb) for $4.32. They recommend using 6 oz per gallon of brine and inject accordingly or 2 oz per 25 pounds of meat for marinade.

The product works equally well for beef, pork and chicken and is used in sausage making as well.

Some of the key things are, phosphates, during the injection or brining should be kept at 40 degrees or less, even for mixing with an immersion blender. They tend to degrade at higher temperatures and yes you can use too much.

Basically 1 part Phosphate to 8 parts liquid (water, injection, brine, etc....).
Depending on where you get it, it can be difficult to mix. Butcher BBQ, Kosmo's, etc are a sure thing.

I am by far NOT the expert here but think of phosphates as Gatorade we all drink. Gatorade helps to replace the good stuff we loose during sports, work or what ever.... So intern phosphates help retain the moisture in the meat during the cooking process before it is lost... In the end more moist with less moister loss as a minimum... some say but all cooks do not agree.
Kinda like Gatorade for BBQ....

Ask and you shall receive. Thanks, David.

Odorless, colorless, tasteless as advertised. No downside that I can see.

When looking for a product be sure to check and see if it will dissolve in water with out heating it. My product has an item in it to help to heat the water just enough to dissolve the powder. I would be real concerned if you have to make sure it has to be kept at low temp as described above you should consider looking at the make up of it. Ours comes from the highest grade commercial phosphate from Germany.

Most phosphates used in the injection world will be just fine for what is described for moisture retention in the BBQ cooking world. There is some of lower grade and when that happens parameters are put in place on how it can be used.

I've heard using too much can make meat have a bouncy/chewy feel. I hope it's not true, just throwing that out there.

These are the discussions I love to read. Great knowledge from good folks.

Now a question. What is the shelf life of phosphates? I have a bag of Amesphos that is well over 3 years old. Is it still useable??

These are the discussions I love to read. Great knowledge from good folks.

Now a question. What is the shelf life of phosphates? I have a bag of Amesphos that is well over 3 years old. Is it still useable??

I'm not familiar with the brand of his, but you should be fine. Most will be good for several years.

will be getting me some of that butcher bbq a oh and like the Gatorade for Q comment

I am by far NOT the expert here but think of phosphates as Gatorade we all drink. Gatorade helps to replace the good stuff we loose during sports, work or what ever.... So intern phosphates help retain the moisture in the meat during the cooking process before it is lost... In the end more moist with less moister loss as a minimum... some say but all cooks do not agree.
Kinda like Gatorade for BBQ....

Psssst! Shiz-Nit injects his BBQ with Gatorade! Pass it on!

Now what flavor? :mrgreen:

Back