Sifting Lump Charcoal

ericl23

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Anyone want to share their method for sifting the rocks and insulation from lump charcoal?

Thanks

E

Use a different lump? I use WG Weekend Warrior lump never had that problem. If I had a continued problem with rocks, insulation ect... I wouldn't use it.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of options when it comes to lump selection in socal so I am stuck with RO which is the affordable and available. I guess I will build a box.

thanks

E

Don't bother! Just go with U.S.A. made Royal Oak lump. Never had a problem. What kind are you using?

Oh is that what your using? It's made in 3 or 4 different places. I always get the made in U.S.A. bags. No problems.

I buy it from Restaurant Depot. It says Made in The USA but I still find rocks and insulation in it.

E

Oh! Ever try Stubbs? That's what I'll use when not using lump. :)

Ace Hardware carries Wicked Good Weekend Warrier. Free delivery to your store if they don't have it in stock..

I've never had an RO bag with insulation from Walmart . Occasional small rock though. Biggest complaint is alot of small pieces.

My local Vons Pavilions has been carrying B&B Oak lump, which I love. I've also been getting Wicked Good via Ace ship-to-store and using coupon codes I've gotten from Brethren who've put up threads alerting us to specials.

The briqs at Trader Joes are great - they're rebadged Rancher. You can also get Nature Glo lump at Cal Char in Commerce. They have a bunch of other briqs and lump as well as splits, chunks, chips, all that. The Nature Glo can be very good but is inconsistent - no rocks, etc. that I'm aware of but once in a while you'll get bags with a lot of small pieces - but it's really cheap - like way less than $20 (maybe $14? can't remember) for a 40# bag.

If you dump it into a garbage can full of water, the charcoal will float and the rocks fall to the bottom. :thumb:

Helpful as always. You may want to stay in WP for the next two weeks. You seem to have too much time on your hands.:clap2:

I was actually going to say burn the charcoal and pick the rocks off the fire grate.

Back