Pecan Wood

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My buddy called me and said he got 3 big pecan limbs from his neighbors yard for me after a storm passed through. Got'em today and cut them into chunks to let them dry. Once it dries should I remove the bark before using? I was told it would give the meat a bitter taste. ?????
David

Under normal use, bark is not a problem. I wouldn't burn only bark though. Enjoy your pecan wood. I use pecan more than any other wood and really like it.

When the BBQ gods made smoke wood, they made pecan. It's a awesome smoking wood but doesn't make alot of btu's. burns a little cooler. I use oak lump and pecan as my hardwood smoke. Nice nutty and spicy smoke that arouses all of the neighbors. I'm a no bark guy. I feel that the bark can sometimes make the food a little bitter. The bark is easy to pop off. Just let it age for a few weeks in the sun, and you can pop off the bark with 1 little thin swipe of the axe. Pecan bark is easy to remove. Also sometimes grubworms are under the bark more times than not so I just remove it. I don't like grubworm pecan smoke.

I've done it both ways and havent noticed a difference either way.

I de bark. Because of the critters that live between the bark and the wood .i m o

yea, if the bark is thick and loose you can take it off. otherwise just use it. my two that i use is also pecan and oak.

I've used it both ways. I remove the bark. Watch the color of your smoke carefully. If you see a black smoke your adding the bitter taste to the meat. If thin blue smoke your good. You mighty want to burn a small test piece first.

Glad to run across this thread. With last couple of severe tstorms, I've found several CL posts for fallen pecan trees. Think I'll grab the Stihl & make a stash of wood to dry

I love pecan and I remove all the bark from my smoke wood because I'm anal like that.

I use a lot of Pecan. Leave the bark on the wood. I dry my wood about 6 months before I smoke with it. Not a noticeable difference, with or without the bark.

Glad to run across this thread. With last couple of severe tstorms, I've found several CL posts for fallen pecan trees. Think I'll grab the Stihl & make a stash of wood to dry

Tornado prone Alabama keeps lots of us from buying Pecan, Oak, and Hickory.

I got a 6" diam. Apple limb Saturday that had split from a friends tree.
It's gonna be good wood
Sometime there is no rhyme or reason for large limbs breaking...

Back