Pork Shoulder without Bone with Speck: Speck upwards or downwards?

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
cc9tmkzptrch7cufe.jpg

Looks like it will be a fresh pork shoulder without bone with speck next weekend.

I have never used any pork with speck on my WSM before, so I have to ask before it goes wrong. The plan is to cook it untrimmed on the upper cooking grate at ~350-400°F without foiling:

• Do I want to put it on with the speck facing upwards or downwards (the agenda here is to still have a juicy meat but with crispy speck)?

• Do I want to score the skin and apply rub to the speck-side?

• Up to which IT do I want to take it without foiling?

• Any idea how long such a pork shoulder with about 8.82 lbs will need to be done at the mentioned grate-temp?

• How do I want to let it rest without softening the bark (if done without foiling till ready, so that I don't have to re-crisp in the oven after resting)?
If it's a bad idea to try it H&F without foiling, I'd rather use a pork without speck, because using my usual technique (H&F till IT 165°F and then foiled in apple juice till IT 203°F) there would be no advantage having the speck on.

My idea to do it H&F without foiling relies on the speck acting either as shield (if facing downwards) or for self-basting (if facing upwards) to keep the meat juicy, which was a major problem so far when trying without foiling, as the product always got way too dry.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Ahh, the age old speck up or down debate again. :razz: I prefer speck side down giving me protection from the heat source and better bark on the top side. This is assuming speck means skin or fat.

The speck/fat cap will be an insulating factor face down - and will separate once lifted easily. There's no problem running hot and fast or low and slow.
However - if pushing hot and fast, reduce the amount of sugars in the rub - will crystallize under high heat.

Its not mandatory - some folks chose to wrap - once the color reaches a deep mahogany color.

Temps that fast will be around 4-6 hours.

Interesting. I haven't thought about crispy skin on a smoke before. Never tried that high of a temp either. Reminds me of lechon.

One suggestion is to score the skin into about 1"-1.5" squares. While cooking baste the skin with a saltwater brine. This will help crisp the skin. When you remove the meat to rest, remove the skin and do not cover it. This will help the skin from softening.

Looking good so far. The rub will contain no sugar (next cook will definitely have our lemon pepper again), and I'd say speck downwards and scored.

But will I take it to IT 203°F or should I pull it earlier, like at IT 195°F? When foiling I always take it to 203°F and never have to worry about dryness or tenderness.

Probe the center of the meat to determine when to pull it.
If the center is still feeling resistance - let it go a little longer.
Will most likely be somewhere between 195-205.

And another try without foiling gone utterly wrong! Have a look for yourself here. I have absolutely no clue what I do wrong. My recent results using foil were all perfect, but every time I tried to omit foil the result was an EPIC FAIL. That's really sad. :sad:

Back