View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagge View Post
It was about 2:20, but at 2 hours I could tell the chicken was not where it should be so I opened up vent full. I was able to get some more heat and finish it off but still was not done enough and the tips of the breast were starting to dry out.

I put my cyberq in after the cook just to see where things were and had about 303. I closed the vent down to 1/4 and temps stayed about 300-320 for the next several hours. It burned for about 6.5 hours total.

I guess it could have been charcoal but it was bought at HEB then used pretty quick. I followed the manufacture instructions.

I just hate the risk for -turkey day

Thanks for the reply's as I walk through this moment of grief and sadness
Wagge how did you light the charcoal again?

Give it another try today if you can.

Fill up the basket with charcoal and remove about half to a 3/4 of a chimney.
Light the chimney to most of the briquettes are ashed over not all of them have to be.
Try to pour the lit briquettes over the charcoal basket as evenly as possible. Add in the bars and leave the lid off the pbc for 10 mins to let the coals get going. In ten mins put the lid on and wait until sweet blue smoke starts coming out. During this time you should be in the 260-300 range.

This is my experience using kingsford blue bag and as well using Trader Joes briquettes.

If temp is not there you can crack open the lid for more air.

In my opinion I would adjust the intake to 1/4 open and do not touch it at all until you get comfortable with the cooker. I would also use KBB to eliminate any variables.

Please keep us updated we are here to help.