Apple wood ?

M

Mtnsmoke

I have a 8"-10" round 8' long apple log that's been in backyard for about three yrs. Would it still be good for smoking? I also have alot of kiln dried oak cutoffs but they seem to give off alot of thick white smoke am I using them wrong or are scraps just not good for smoking?

No, it is no longer any good.
However, I'll pay all shipping cost if you would be so kind
as to ship it to Texas.
What is the expiration code on it?:mrgreen:

Weiser

I have a 8"-10" round 8' long apple log that's been in backyard for about three yrs. Would it still be good for smoking? I also have alot of kiln dried oak cutoffs but they seem to give off alot of thick white smoke am I using them wrong or are scraps just not good for smoking?

If its rotten around the outside, scrape off all the dead wood and bark before smoking. I wouldnt throw it away unless its rotten to the core.

As far as the white smoke, try to pre-heat your wood by laying on the firebox (if possible). Cold wood is going to smoke white until the wood has been brought up to temp by the fire. The cold wood takes energy from the fire, then it levels back off when the new wood starts generating heat and adding to the fire. Then the goodness starts - sweet blue.

No rot on the log so I think I'll be good to go. Thnx for the info.

Pork butt and 4 yard birds were done with apple last week end for the Mrs.' birthday. Apple is good..

Scored weber kettle today UDS build on the way. I'm thinking the apple wood is going to be put to good use.

I am talking to a guy I found on Craigs list, he wants $50 for a 1/4 cord of apple wood. Does that sound fair? I really do not any other places to get a bulk amount of Apple wood, just want to know if I am getting the screws put to me.

He also has hickory for the same price

If you are going to use apple in your soon to be built UDS, chunk it up. Apple cut in 16" lengths is very difficult to split by hand. If you cut it into 2" thick rounds, then it will be a lot easier to split and chunk up. Also it seasons faster if needed. Enjoy!

Back