Comp Pork help

Shotgun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been struggling with pork for some time. I guess I dont know what the judges are looking for. We Pull one at around 190-195 and slice 1 at around 175. Everything seems to us to be good, but doesnt score well. We try to rest our meat atleast 2 hours, we inject with a modified Chris lilly injection and sauce the pulled alittle bit. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 364
Two suggestions I have are... cook your slicing shoulder more, to the 180's, and let cool a bit a room temp before slicing.

Don't process your pulled shoulder so much. I'd be looking for thumb sized chunks instead of shreds.

Two suggestions I have are... cook your slicing shoulder more, to the 180's, and let cool a bit a room temp before slicing.

Don't process your pulled shoulder so much. I'd be looking for thumb sized chunks instead of shreds.

I know Jay is doing pork butts. You say shoulder. Will there be a difference in temps in your opinion?

Good advice. Take your slicing butt off the smoker at 185F internal and let it rest in a dry cooler for several hours. Leave your pulling butt on the cooker until done (usually 195-200+). Check for resistance with your temp probe.

Your box looks like a mess. It is not well defined. From the pic I cannot tell what part of the butt you are slicing. Consider isolating and partially butterflying a muscle or muscle group prior to cooking.

For your pulled pieces, keep them finger sized and make sure every piece is uber-tender and has a healthy amount of bark on it before going into the box. We like to pull from the money muscle or the horn area.

Jay, Do you have sliced, pulled AND chopped in there? If so loose either the pulled or the chopped, and I would lean towards getting rid of the pulled. Judges are supposed to sample ALL types presented and if one is lacking than they should/will judge down.

Just my .02, take it for what it is worth.

Jay, Do you have sliced, pulled AND chopped in there? If so loose either the pulled or the chopped, and I would lean towards getting rid of the pulled. Judges are supposed to sample ALL types presented and if one is lacking than they should/will judge down.

Just my .02, take it for what it is worth.

Cause we did SO WELL in pork right next to you this weekend.....:cool:

So I guess my question is why don't judges like pulled...around here when you go into a BBQ restuarant that's all you see...

So I guess my question is why don't judges like pulled...around here when you go into a BBQ restuarant that's all you see...

I don't think it's a question of them liking it or not. It's more apt to get cold and dry out when it's pulled fine.

Your box looks like a mess.
Your right the box does look like a mess, but this scored pretty well considering. Bigger piece would definatly help. Does anybody season or sauce there pork before turn in?

Your right the box does look like a mess, but this scored pretty well considering. Bigger piece would definatly help. Does anybody season or sauce there pork before turn in?

We sauce and season but I know some teams do well otherwise. Here is a pic from our last pork entry.

pork.jpg

Paul, how did that box score/place?

It placed 4th out of 48.

We averaged over 8 in appearance but the putting green was too high and we had to smash clamshell lid down on the entry. And I don't mean lightly touching, I'm talking about bulging styrofoam (<---bonehead move). We missed 3rd place neighbor MoKan by 4/10,000ths of a point (159.4284 to 159.4288 ) so 1 more appearance point could've made a difference.

Any guesses Todd as to who's Yardbird rub we seasoned it with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is ours from Lawrence. As Paul said it scored virtually the same. We usually slice the pork but it just didn't work out right.

Attachments

• Pork Butt Lawrence.jpg
    Pork Butt Lawrence.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 249
Paul and Wayne,

Those turn in boxes are awesome.

Question on the slicing part, which part do you use? From the looks of yours, Paul, there wasn't a bone that needed pulled out before slicing.

Thanks,

Question on the slicing part, which part do you use? From the looks of yours, Paul, there wasn't a bone that needed pulled out before slicing.

The slices in that picture were taken from the end opposite the bone. The money muscle is actually the round muscle on the left side of each slice.

The slices in that picture were taken from the end opposite the bone. The money muscle is actually the round muscle on the left side of each slice.

The bone has a round, pointy end, and the end that's wide and flat. The slices came from the end that's wide and flat?

Thanks.

Back