Westmont, IL - Updated with partial results

Scottie

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Looks like they will have around 33-35 teams for this weekend in Westmont. Not bad, as that is an increase from last year. Probably because they have imported that awesome rep team from Lynchburg, TN... :cool:

We have had some talk of having a Pot Luck for Saturday night. So if you are coming, plan on bringing a dish to pass.

If anyone needs any help with anything, directions or store location or the best Italian Beef joints in the area, just let me know. I know the area a little...

See you all there!

Scottie

We'll be there!! Will plan on bringing a tin of smoked Italian sausage, onions and peppers for the pot luck. If we get there on Friday night is there a place close by (within walking distance) to grab a bite to eat?

Also, for the poeple's choice.....any idea about how much chili one should you bring as to not run out?

See ya'll there!!!

My wife and i will be there and we'll have something for the pot luck. I have no idea what it will be, but it will be edible :rolleyes. We'll be rolling in around noon on Saturday.

Tonto, I asked Jim A. how many folks they are anticipating for the chili and he told me that they hope to sell at least 100 tickets. They are providing 2 oz tasting cups so that would be approx. 200 oz, so a couple of gallons would probably be OK, I think.

There are a bunch of restaurants on Ogden Avenue, a couple of blocks south of the park. Just south of the park on Blackhawk drive is Bohemian Crystal, a very good Bohemian restaurant, but they may be pretty busy on a Friday night. It is somewhat upscale. There is a pancake house at Blackhawk and Ogden, a Baker's Square on Ogden about a block east and a Thai place on Cass Avenue a block west of the park (at Cass and Plaza Drive) and another Thai place on Ogden near Blackhawk. There is also fast food in along Ogden (Wendy's, Chipotle, Pizza Hut). You won't go hungry!

See you on Saturday!

There is a White Castle right there too. I might order some pizza's on Friday night if there are enough people there.

Tonto, are you guys bringing the moho? I"ve got the pellets.

Scottie

There is a White Castle right there too. I might order some pizza's on Friday night if there are enough people there.

Tonto, are you guys bringing the moho? I"ve got the pellets.

Scottie

Sweet!! Yep, we'll have the MH. Also will have some biscuts and gravy for Sunday morning breakfast for everyone.

Me and the wife will be there sat morning around 8-9am we will have a dish for Sat potluck hope to see you all there.

We were thinking dessert stuff....key lime pies and site made bananas foster, is that ok? If so would 2 pies and foster for 8 (or 16) be enough?

Although I won't be attending this year, I also used to live basically across the street from the competition site...

As far as chili goes...bring ALOT. Last year it was raining like hell and I still burned through a couple gallons easy and was scraping the bottom of the pot at the end. Didn't even get to eat a bowl myself.

Food. If you like Mexican, I suggest The Taco Grill & Salsa Bar about 1/2 mile west of Cass on Ogden Ave. Always one of my favorites when I lived out there. They have a salsa bar that typically has 10 or 12 different homemade hot sauces/salsas/pepper mixes to go along with their very good standard Mexican fare. Personally I think one of the best/most unique al pastor recipes I've eaten. They stack it on a gyros spit in sliced layers with pineapple slices and cook it gyros style and just slice it off the spit when ordered. Good stuff. Also, right on the corner of Cass & Ogden you have a small carry out location of Home Run Inn Pizza. Thats pretty good too. If you are gyros fans, go to Gyros King. That is a bit further west of the mexican joint about on Ogden. Get the King Gyros that is liberally sprinkled with feta cheese. If you want GREAT chicago style fast food, there is Maxwell Smarts in a strip mall at Cass & 63rd (the strip mall in the sw corner) that serves chicago style (more specifically maxwell st style) polish sausage hot dogs and cheeseburgers, fresh cut fries, italian ice. For you out of towners, if you want a real deal polish, this is the place to go.

All the above are within a 15 minute drive of the cook site. Its been awhile since I've eaten at all these joints, but as far as I know they are all still around.

knock em dead guys. Hopefully the rain stays away this year. but at least the locusts won't be back for a few more years

Bryan
The BBQ-tioners

i agree the rain on first day last year sucked, but the second day was great, i was hearing low of 37 for the weekend?

I think it was calling for lows in the high 40's and Saturday being 76 and Sunday being 82?

Would rather have the cold over the rain. Memorial Day is always a crapshoot up in these parts. In fact, I'd say on average it rains more often the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend than not. Just thinking of how many Indy 500's over the years have been delayed, last year no exception. Just hope it doesn't rain AND have a low of 37....sheesh. Might as well be "Fire on Ice"

B

We are doing Elk Grove. Couldn't get clearance for 2 so close together so Westmont is out. Wish we could've done Westmont this year again though, was a great contest last year. Prolly going to do a fall comp as well, either Racine, Arthur, or Libertyville.

This is your first one running solo right? Good luck dude. I also saw you on the EGV list, so I'm sure we'll chat there....

Take Care,

Bryan

quick question, the potluck is this for all the competitiors? or just brethren or?? just need to know how much food i need to make roughly

It will be a bunch would be my guess. I was able to secure a true bbq legend. drbbq will be in attendance. Of course, he only drinks green label and they don't sell it up here. I hope he can choke down some black...

has it been that long since Ive been in a liquor store??? When did they stop selling Green Label up here? It used to be all over the place ..I know cuz I would always grab a bottle of that rot gut by accident.
anyway Head's Red BBQ will be bringing a bit of Greek (loukaniko) to the proceedings ..
Scottie - my team mate is Scottish so maybe he can bring ya some Haggis?
Ron - do you think some kangarooo meatloaf would go over well? Still have some roo meat from Gregs store.. maybe make up some Sloppy Joey? :)

Yeah, |I went to the Binny's on 83 near Plainfield yesterday and they told me it isn't carried in Illinois, so we'll be bringing black label.:icon_frow

Yeah, |I went to the Binny's on 83 near Plainfield yesterday and they told me it isn't carried in Illinois, so we'll be bringing black label.:icon_frow

They sell it here in Michigan if ya'll are serious, I'd be glad to grab a bottle....

I might need a new bottle for my cabinet... If you wouldn't mind...

Thanks Theresa!

Scottie

I might need a new bottle for my cabinet... If you wouldn't mind...

Thanks Theresa!

Scottie

Glad you answered.....was wondering what you might like since Walt hasn't made any international trips latley to grab the select...:wink:

Back