First smoke on the new UDS. BBR pRon!

M

Mirage_Man

I finally finished build my UDS the other day. Today I did a test/seasoning run with it. Tomorrow I'm smoking baby back ribs for an Easter/B-day party. The original plan was for 15 racks but after some cancellations I'll only be smoking 12 racks. Still quite a big smoke for me. I'm starting this thread tonight as I start the process.

First a picture of the new UDS.

DSC_5969_sm.jpg

The rib racks I'll be using. The first is a rack that holds 8 made by Traeger. The second is one that holds 6. I can't remember who makes it.

DSC_5949_sm.jpg

DSC_5950_sm.jpg

Now on to prepping the ribs for tomorrow.

First here's a shot of the cryopacked ribs. We got them at Sams for $2.92/lb. Not too bad a deal I suppose.

DSC_5970_sm.jpg

Rinsed them and removed the membrane.

DSC_5986_sm.jpg

Slathered in mustard and ready for the rub. I'm using John Henry's Pecan rub on most of the racks. I also have spicier rub for the guys that like em hot on a few.

DSC_5993_sm.jpg

DSC_5992_sm.jpg

Coated nicely for their nap. Will apply more before they go in the smoke.

DSC_5996_sm.jpg

All rapped up and ready to go nighty night in the fridge :sleep: .

DSC_6001_sm.jpg

Whew! That was a lot of work.

More pics to follow as the journey continues....

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

great looking drum and good luck with maiden voyage

nice Drum.......and a very ambitious first smoke...........and fortunately the UDS is a great rib-machine! enjoy the cook, the Holiday........and the praise you will receive.

Well everyone it was a unbridled success! They came out fantastic. They may not have been the prettiest ever but given the fact I had to use ribs racks I think they look OK. As you can see a few of them got a little more done than others due to the difference in thickness but were still fantastic. I was able to achieve near rock steady temps during the entire smoke except when I first put them on. It took about 25 mins. to get the temp back up to 225 with the intake wide open. After that it was smoooooth sailing. I just want to thank all those that have taken the time to post how they built their UDS's. I drew from all of them and am very pleased with the results!

On to the pRon!

Here they are nestled in the racks.

DSC_6002_sm.jpg

DSC_6003_sm.jpg

Just out after 2.5 hrs. in the smoke. Man I need some grilling gloves so I can handle the meat without burning my fingers!

DSC_6023_sm.jpg

All wrapped up and then back in for 1.5 hrs.

DSC_6028_sm.jpg

And all finished resting for a few before getting devoured. As you can see I did not sauce them. I let everyone decide what sauce they wanted instead. Some like them naked too.

DSC_6046_sm.jpg

Here's a few cut and ready to eat! Man I need a sharper knife.

DSC_6047_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back