Using our church's kitchen.

The Cosmic Pig

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Our church has a GREAT kitchen, and I was thinking about asking permission to use it as an extension of a mobile food vending business, caterer, etc. How much of an imposition is it on the church, i.e., will the health department come in and inspect on a regular basis just like they do a restaurant, caterers, etc? I don't want to ask if it's big pain. :tsk: Also, I'm sure every HD is different. But if you use a church or know someone who does, what is the SOP? Thanks!

I have a similar situation. My partner is a church member and we have used the kitchen as a base of operation: Prep, pre-cooking some dishes, using the dish washer, etc. He uses that kitchen at least once a month to prepare a dinner for the elderly/less fortunate so he has no issues with using it for his own purposes. The health dept does come in the inspect/certify on a regular basis. In fact, they are due any day now.

Without some kind of quid pro quo, liability might be a concern for the church.

If the kitchens HD approved all you need is permission.

If the kitchens HD approved all you need is permission.

That's the thing; we are not inspected because we don't sell anything at the church. We feed approximately 100 of the neighborhood kids every Wednesday night as part of our "AWANA" program, though. Most of the people working in the kitchen know HD rules so there's no violations, but I'd still hate to ask for the scrutiny of the HD on a regular basis if they otherwise wouldn't be subjected to it.

That's the thing; we are not inspected because we don't sell anything at the church. We feed approximately 100 of the neighborhood kids every Wednesday night as part of our "AWANA" program, though. Most of the people working in the kitchen know HD rules so there's no violations, but I'd still hate to ask for the scrutiny of the HD on a regular basis if they otherwise wouldn't be subjected to it.

Then if you wanted to use it as a commissary, YOU would have to get the kitchen to pass HD scrutiny. Sounds as if they were never approved so that could be more hassle than worthwhile?

we wanted to do this but the paster said he would need to get aproval from the bishop and then hd.

Then if you wanted to use it as a commissary, YOU would have to get the kitchen to pass HD scrutiny. Sounds as if they were never approved so that could be more hassle than worthwhile?

Well, I don't think it would have any problem passing as it was definitely set up correctly. Maybe some minor stuff like too much frost in the freezer or something, but that's about it - if that. I haven't asked if it has ever been inspected before, but I will Wednesday night! :thumb:

Back