Smoking on Gas?

HookedonSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When smoking I normally use a Large BGE or a small bullet-style Brinkmann or both depending on what I am doing. This weekend, I am going to be relegated to using a commercial gas grill but I still want to be able to get some smoke into the meat.

I need some advice how (if at all) this is possible.

You can make foil pouches that have wood chips in them. Or depending on how the grill is setup just set a fist sized chunk of wood on the grate near fire.

Home Depot/Lowes also sell cast iron boxes for smoking in their grilling departments....too small for chunks...will need to buy wood chips

I saw a discussion on gasser smoking somewhere (may have been here) but one of the issues mentioned is how most gassers have pretty big vents. Some of the writers claimed that they have a hard time getting the smoke flavor they are used to on more contained environments like a WSM, kettle, or Egg. They thought it was due to the large amount of vent space that tended to channel the smoke out quickly on the gasser. Maybe you could try some placement of wood towards the front of the grill to try to get the smoke to go over the meat before going out the vent. Or take a flyer and use a bit more wood than you are accustomed. Anyways, good luck and please report your results. I am interested because sometimes I end up at cabins or resorts that I have to use a gasser and I am curious about what some of the successful options are.

I've done it on my gasser using a small cookie sheet and wood chips instead of chunks. Place the cookie sheet directly on top of the burners(under the actual cooking grates) sprinkle some chips on and smoke away. The chips will smolder after a bit and the cookie sheet acts as a diffuser so you get a nice indirect cook. Good luck.

When smoking I normally use a Large BGE or a small bullet-style Brinkmann or both depending on what I am doing. This weekend, I am going to be relegated to using a commercial gas grill but I still want to be able to get some smoke into the meat.

I need some advice how (if at all) this is possible.

I've used my Crown Verity gasser a few times to smoke. A couple things,

You can buy steel boxes that hold wood chips, Crown makes some nice ones for their grills. You can also make one. Are you using a long grill with burners going front to back? If so you can take one of the grates off the side, and place a half size disposable aluminum tray with wood chips on the radiant that covers the burner like most commercial grills have.

There will probably be a lot of vents on the dome of your grill. The back of the Crown Verity has vents all along the top from one side to the other. I cover those with thick aluminum foil. There is a lip on my grill that runs along the grill on top of the vents, I clamp the foil to that.

Here is some pron of gasser smoked butts,
383541_10151270860106779_169663158_n.jpg

Back