Country Smoker CS-570 Thermostat upgrade

Smoked Ham

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a CS-570 and noticed that there is a new Digital Thermostat controller available, will this work on my older model with the timed feed?

I assume there may be some drilling involved to get a probe in the smoker correct?

I have a CS-570 and noticed that there is a new Digital Thermostat controller available, will this work on my older model with the timed feed?

I assume there may be some drilling involved to get a probe in the smoker correct?

I think the digital will work on any of their models. I have one on the right side of my WH. You do not have to drill, when they 1st came out they suggested you mount it at the back in one of the center exhust holes. Some have mounted them on the wall between the pit and the pellet unit, will just depend on where you want it mounted.

IMG_2046.jpg

Pellet hopper off.

IMG_2047.jpg

Inside unit, right above the plate the grease deflector sits.

IMG_2323.jpg

I moved mind to the back of the unit, center exhuast hole.

I think the digital will work on any of their models. I have one on the right side of my WH. You do not have to drill, when they 1st came out they suggested you mount it at the back in one of the center exhust holes. Some have mounted them on the wall between the pit and the pellet unit, will just depend on where you want it mounted.
I moved mind to the back of the unit, center exhuast hole.

How well does it hold temps with this controller? The center hole mount seems like a better place for more even temps, did they supply enough high-temp wire for this or did you have to splice it?

Better than the analog. It will still vary in temps by 30 degress, but better than the old system. The leads should be long enough to put it just about anywhere you want. I put a high heat silicone on them because I knew they would be touching the unit.

Still a 30 degree swing, well I guess thats better than the occasional 70 degree swing I have encountered. I wish I could figure a way to keep the temp more stable in this thing.

Thanks for your help.

IF you do a search, I have pics of my install as well. I put mine right over the catch for the deflector plate. It sits just under the grate level. That helps keep spiking due to the lid being open under control... it also helps keep it shielded from the direct heat or air, blowing up the back wall. The exhaust port mounting scares me, as I know I would sever that thermocouple loading, unloading etc.

I have very little swings in my whole hog; 10 degrees- but then I have stacks on mine, not the exhaust holes at the back anymore.

My tailgator locks in like a champ, but it is a much smaller cooker, with a double walled lid, so I would expect it to dial in nicely.

The nice thing about the digital controller is - that it compensates for the condition changes for you.... you might be cooking between medium and low on the analog, due to low wind/and sunny conditions.... but if the wind picks up and sun goes behind a cloud, you have adjust the controller to compensate. With the new controller, you no longer need to manually compensate for environmental changes. That makes it LOADS better. Well worth the money.

IF you do a search, I have pics of my install as well. I put mine right over the catch for the deflector plate. It sits just under the grate level. That helps keep spiking due to the lid being open under control... it also helps keep it shielded from the direct heat or air, blowing up the back wall. The exhaust port mounting scares me, as I know I would sever that thermocouple loading, unloading etc.

I have very little swings in my whole hog; 10 degrees- but then I have stacks on mine, not the exhaust holes at the back anymore.

My tailgator locks in like a champ, but it is a much smaller cooker, with a double walled lid, so I would expect it to dial in nicely.

The nice thing about the digital controller is - that it compensates for the condition changes for you.... you might be cooking between medium and low on the analog, due to low wind/and sunny conditions.... but if the wind picks up and sun goes behind a cloud, you have adjust the controller to compensate. With the new controller, you no longer need to manually compensate for environmental changes. That makes it LOADS better. Well worth the money.
I have searched for a few hours for the pics but can't seem to find them, if you have a link i would really appreciate it.

You mention that you have stacks on your WH, do you have pictures or a description on how you converted over?

You mention that you have stacks on your WH, do you have pictures or a description on how you converted over?

I don't have good pics of the stacks... but if you check out the one probe pic... you can see where we put the hole for the stack in the cooker wall.

Then covered the other exhaust holes. Basically made it a "reverse flow" setup - and it works!

One of these days I will get pics, or Bob or Don, or someone on here will remember to snap some if I dont...:rolleyes:

Now that BBQ season is on, that WH stays in my trailer - since I am cooking every weekend.

I don't have good pics of the stacks... but if you check out the one probe pic... you can see where we put the hole for the stack in the cooker wall.

Then covered the other exhaust holes. Basically made it a "reverse flow" setup - and it works!

One of these days I will get pics, or Bob or Don, or someone on here will remember to snap some if I dont...:rolleyes:

Now that BBQ season is on, that WH stays in my trailer - since I am cooking every weekend.

Andy, we will track you down sometime for those pics. for an easy mod to help with the reverse flow, I plugged the 6 holes in the middle. this makes the heat circle back after the fan blows it to the middle

Back