I would go fro a stainless for $100 in a heartbeat.
But have not seen one yet.

I'm just finished burnin my drum and had another question for the pros. Before I sand/grind out the inside do I rinse out the black, scorched stuff first, then grind away? After grinding do ya rinse or just start seasoning it with crisco?

You put water in a drum, you get instant rust...

Blow it out good and wipe out with a rag, assemble and season! :biggrin:

All right, I'm officially in this epic thread.......:cool:

I finally got most of the parts I need to build my 1st UDS.

1) Free 55 gal drum....Check
1) $20 22.5 Weber Kettle....Check
1) New 22.5 grate....Check
Misc. Black pipe,caps & ball valve....Check

Questions...

What are your .02 on using alum. as a ash pan? Its bare and uncoated.

How deep all most of you putting the nipples in the drum?

I'll post some build pics soon. Thanks Guys, Ed

Questions...

What are your .02 on using alum. as a ash pan? Its bare and uncoated.

How deep all most of you putting the nipples in the drum?

Ed,
Unless you cut the bottom out like I did why do you need an ash pan? It will be a pain to get out without spilling ashes along the sides.

On the intake nipples I don't think it matters much, I just made sure that the conduit nut had a couple of turns to tighten down. I know some set the charcoal basket on the intakes, but I did not.

Love to see the build after your done.

I went with an ash pan and I highly reccommend it. Clean up is a snap. I just lift out the pan/charcoal ring and wipe out any grease that missed the charcoal.

I would avoid aluminium.

I build all mine with an ash pan now. You either have to scoop the ash out, suck it out with shop vac, or lift out ash pan. Believe me the first time you dump it out and all that ash sticks to the side where the grease is you will be looking for an ash pan.

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

As long as you attach the ash pan to the basket, I'd highly recommend having one. Also think of having a wire bail to help get it out of the drum

Here's a source from Wal Mart - cheap and about the right size.

103200889.jpg

-=- Jerry -=-

www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com

Here was my take on it. My basket and ash pan lift out together. Then the basket lifts off the pole for cleaning.
IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg

Then I made a heat sheild/drip pan that you could use or not.
IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

I had that little Wallymart grill in my hand last night. I might use it after all.

Weber lid ?....Are you guys using just the one vent on the lid, or adding more? Oh, Where is a good place to get temp gages?

What gauge expanded metal are you guys using? I have some,but it might to thin. I think I might use it,If I melt it I'll get something else.

Making some progress

UDS slowly coming together…
Reciprocating saw with 24tpi blade cut top off CT drum like a knife through hot butter. Only word of advice I’d give to those that do this in the future is to leave the lid tacked on in a couple places until it’s just about cut off so you avoid drooping and binding up the blade of the saw.
Rescued Weber lid found on dog walk serving as lid, bent outer flange to fit pretty good and made a functional wooden handle.
No-Weld charcoal basket is complete using a rescued 18” kettle charcoal grate and "clothes line hooks" to secure. Also looking for suitable ash tray. Not sure if basket is high enough off the bottom of drum.
Since San Fran is a tough place to do a burn out I’m having to wire wheel the inside to clean and will then decide on bottom vent hole configuration. Thinking pretty serious about a combo of ball valve and spring loaded closures like “jerrykr” then I can use the spring loaders for partial adjustments if need.
Also rescued a 22 ½” grate and already had an extra for my Weber so have grates and other hardware from junk I had around from other “projects”.
Can’t wait to get this baby up and cooking!
Thanks to all on this thread and others for advice.

Attachments

• DB smoker basket.JPG
    DB smoker basket.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,836
  • DB BUDS.JPG
    DB BUDS.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,837
  • DB Valve Hole.JPG
    DB Valve Hole.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,828
  • DB Vent Holes.JPG
    DB Vent Holes.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,822
The "dual 3/4 holes" and the spring loaded closures work well. If I have about 1/8 inch of the holes open to the air on all four sides I get 250-300F depending on where you measure. You can open or close them infanitely of course. I like the idea of being able to set them all the same all around the barrel/fire grate. Seems to me that the temps would be more even side to side. Hard to tell without a lot of temp probes.... ;^)

We'll see how things go. Seemed to me after reading this thread I could create the best of all worlds with this set up...only some cooking will tell.
Still have a large project on my hands getting the liner out of this sucker without a big burn. Did a small burn tonight and will burn more tomorrow to try to loosen up liner before more wire wheel.
Then we'll see what transpires.
Thanks for the idea about the intakes.

sfbbqguy, I like the way you tied the expanded metal to the bottom grate. Very simple, very clever!

Then I made a heat sheild/drip pan that you could use or not.
IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg
Do you put water in yours? How does it do with just making "black fat" smoke? I let my water pan go dry one year in my old farkin' brinkman and I got a black tire fire smoke from the fat. (could also be because of the crap smoker) I'm betting that is why but I was wondering when you said you use this to collect drippings.

Ever think of letting the drippings go down the ash pan handle and gather in the ash? might make it messy but nothing a hose couldn't take care of. It would eliminate the smoke problem I had (if you have ever had that).

sfbbqguy, I like the way you tied the expanded metal to the bottom grate. Very simple, very clever!

If I had it to do over i'd get the bigger Clothes Line Hooks but this is working real good and your right...simple. I got the idea from someone else on this thread who had used hooks also. It's on one of the 100+ pages here somewhere:|.

I used stainless zip ties for my basket..
When that grate burns out I'll just tie in another.

zwaiqg.jpg

Back