Tip to beginners. Amount of fat on your pork/beef matters!

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a buddy of mine that is a relative "newbie" to the bbq world decide to change where he bought his ribs from and didn't realize that the ribs from the new vendor were very, very LEAN spares compared to what he was used to using. He couldn't understand how he "did everything the same as before" and they turn out "tough".

Though I'm no expert I can say that the amount of fat that a piece of meat has can definitely change ones "margin for error" when it comes to smoking. The more fat the more forgiveness. The leaner the meat the less forgiveness. :doh:

Just realized I put one too many "f's" in the word "of". Mod please change.

Last edited:
I agree, Buzz. Trouble is, everything you buy around these parts is very, very lean. :cry:

Damn the health nuts, full fat ahead!

JimT

I don't have a problem getting spares tender, but if there was a way that they'd still be really juicy, I'd be all over that.

I know, don't overcook to fallin' off the bone, but they still end up a little drier than I'd like most of the time, to be honest. Most of the time it's been Smithfield spares that come in a 3 pack, but I have no idea if there's anything better around here. I learned from experience to avoid the Smithfield St. Louis trimmed w/ phospates, though. They were plenty moist...and plenty hammy as well.

I made the mistake with the enhanced ribs as well. Lesson learned!!

Pork is produced lot more leaner than it was 25-30 years ago and it shows in the taste .

I agreee... Attempting Lamb ribs and there is an abundance of fat and I'm trimming it back a bit...

I always by fattie, and trim them back to what I want....

There is nothing wrong with fat, it's necessary, try making elk sausage without adding some blech. It's that people eat more than they walk that's the problem.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...I got my shoulders at Safeway and they were nicely marbled with a solid fat pad on the outside. Their ribs look good too. I had the butcher get me a 9 pounder instead of the 3 pound ones on the shelf. Costco had BOGO and I got two there, they are in the freezer, I'll let you know what they are like when they come out.

I would agree that leaner ribs can make for a differently tasting product, but I'm not so convinced it makes a big difference in the tenderness department. I could be wrong though. However, nothing about fat equates to tender meat. They are two different things. You can render down fat until it is "tender", but with meat, if it is a meat laden with connective tissue like in the case of ribs, then it is heat and water that break it down until it is tender, not fat.

Just saying. Not trying to start anything or say the OP is wrong. I do agree that leaner ribs are not going to taste like the fattier ribs you grew accustomed to. I'm just saying if he thought they were too tough that maybe fat isn't the problem.

Back