PASTRAMI- (with PRON) I'm amazed

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how good this turned out! For one thing, this 4.3 lb piece of meat cooked for OVER 10 HOURS and ended up as succulent and juicy as any I ever had from ANY deli.

It started life as a 4.3# pre-packaged corned beef point. This picture is one of the 6 I bought.

I seasoned it the day before (coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne) and let it come to room temperature while the WSM was coming up to 200 deg.

I was able to maintain a chamber temperature of around 220 deg (only a couple of spikes up & down) for 6 hours until the IT hit 165. Then it went into foil for another 4+ hours until the IT reached 202. Then it stayed wrapped in a cooler for about 3 hours.

Although we were having supper shortly I had to try it - and what a treat.
p2.4.jpg

I always thought the stuff I read about 10 & 12 hour cook times for pastrami was for a full brisket, but now I realize that you can't be impatient when smoking.

I have a small point cut left over from st pats and I am inspired to try this....nice looking pastrami. :eusa_clap

Looks great - pastrami is the next new thing on my list! :hungry:

Got one in the fridge I'm planning to smoke Friday. I keep hearing about taking it to 160˚, chilling it, then steaming it to 200˚. I'm a little confused, but think I'll just go with just the smoke and foil method. Yours looks awesome!

I love pastrami! Wow, that looks fantastic. I'm been having quite a craving for Montreal smoked meat and pastrami this past week. Your pron is a good sight for my craving eyes.

Nice work,that looks great,Sandwich coming up please

that looks GREAT!

Your cook seems simple enough. I am going to have to try it soon. My wife bought a couple extra packages of corned beef for me to try smoking.

I have seen a few other recepies on this site that suggest soaking the brisket in water overnight to remove some of the salt. I assume you did not do this. Do you think it is needed? Was your's salty?

that looks GREAT!

Your cook seems simple enough. I am going to have to try it soon. My wife bought a couple extra packages of corned beef for me to try smoking.

I have seen a few other recepies on this site that suggest soaking the brisket in water overnight to remove some of the salt. I assume you did not do this. Do you think it is needed? Was your's salty?

I rinsed this one with cold water for a couple of minutes and it was fine. I can't really make any suggestions because 1, I like salty, and 2, it all depends on who packed it. This was my first smoke cook. In the past I've done them in the oven - some were salty, some not.

Might have to try that...I have made a lot of them but always take it out arund 165 area then steam it and slice it....I think it worked as you were cooking a point, I suspect if u tried that with a flat it would not come out as moist as you would want..just my 2 cents

Might have to try that...I have made a lot of them but always take it out arund 165 area then steam it and slice it....I think it worked as you were cooking a point, I suspect if u tried that with a flat it would not come out as moist as you would want..just my 2 cents

I'll find out in a couple of weeks. I have a 4.75 lb flat that I'm doing next.

nice job .. Newbie here did you rince it or not?

Back