• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Okay now.....I have a "enhanced" turkey

B

BIGBrandon2785

Ive heard in the past that you should not brine a enhanced bird.But,I smoked my 1st turkey a few years ago and it was not that great,I did 1 hr per LBS at 225????Its was pretty dry still.

Anything im missing??Should I just brine it??.....................Or could I just build a real good fire and put a pot of peanut oil on it and Deep Fry?????...........I like deep fryed turkey,lol

I BBQ my Turkeys at 325º-350º and they come out very good, no brining, I rub a nice seasoned Butter mixture all over the bird.

Even at 225*, an hour per pound sounds like a lot. I would've said 20-30 minutes/lb at that temp. If it were me, I'd go for at least 300*.

I prefer to brine my own, but...

Nothing inherently wrong with a factory enhanced bird if that is what you have.
Here are the cooking recommendation from ButterBall. They are the Big Kahuna of the "enhanced" market and should know what they are talking about.

At 325 deg:
Net Weight (lb.) Unstuffed (hrs.) Stuffed (hrs.)
4½ to 7-----------2 to 2½---------2¼ to 2¾
7 to 9-------------2½ to 3---------2¾ to 3½
9 to 18-----------3 to 3½---------3¾ to 4½
18 to 22----------3½ to 4-------- 4½ to 5
22 to 24----------4 to 4½-------- 5 to 5½
24 to 30----------4½ to 5-------- 5½ to 6¼

Also, you can check the label of the bird. Every one I have seen has the instructions on it.

Good Eats

TIM

If brining an "enhanced" bird, use only about 60% of the salt you would normally use.

I've also heard spatchcocking will let it cook faster without drying it out.

I smoked a fresh 12# turkey two yrs. ago---injected with butter /garlic mix on a cheapo Aussie smoker , that held --amazingly--at 300 for 4 hrs.Best and juiciest turkey I ever ate.Used a wired monitor from walmart . When its done its done , to quote numerous folk here> Ignore the hrs , and keep tabs on it. Doug:biggrin1:

If it is enhanced I don't brine but I do inject it with melted butter that has steeped some Tony Cachree's steeped in it. Spatchcock and cook at 325 when the breast is 160 it's done.

Back