PBC mods - Who's done what?

LennyG

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the PBC and who's done what for mods on these -

Or are we all keeping them box-stock?

Fuels - Anything other than KBB? (I'm interested in trying Stubbs)

Added water pans or diffusers?

Extra grates?

Does changing up briquettes and lump and percentages of each count??

When Brother 7over borrowed my PBC he added an ash catcher to the fire basket..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187865

Other than that I haven't done anything except using some sheet magnets to cover the rod holes and intake to snuff out the fire.

The pizza pan trick is cool! Thanks for the link! Yeah, dumping ashes is a pain. But no matter what you're cooking in, we all gotta deal with the ashes.....

Does changing up briquettes and lump and percentages of each count??

Sure! I'm looking for any and all input - I'm really interested in folks that have used Stubbs - I'm using KBB with a 3-4 big chunks of hickory right now. Ready to experiment!

Sure! I'm looking for any and all input - I'm really interested in folks that have used Stubbs - I'm using KBB with a 3-4 big chunks of hickory right now. Ready to experiment!

I use Stubbs and lump charcoal on mine. I've never used KBB.:cool:

Mods are a 3" thermometer on the lid for temps and a 16" pizza pan that goes directly underneath the charcoal basket. I shake the ashes off, take out the basket, then take out the pizza pan and dump out the ashes.

I don't see why this wouldn't work for the PBC ash catcher. I use safety wire from the pan to the top of the basket in 2 places. It works very well, easy to remove, since it is just ashes it stays with the basket easily. Had to replace the wires once so far due to the constant bending to hook/unhook but I don't find that a problem.

I used some stuff that was laying around that you can buy in sheets. I'm pretty sure it was the same as the stuff that folks give out to stick on your fridge. So far no melting but I've only used it a couple of times.

A good way to deal with the ashes is to vacuum the inside with a shop vac. Works great and keeps the outside cleaner.

I haven't used anything but KB in it, so plan to experiment with a bit of lump and also try 100% hardwood briquets.

Crap. Now, I not only NEED a stick burner, and a pellet pooper (Thanks a LOT Ronelle, Jeanie, Lynn and that fark in Nebraska...) I apparently MUST HAVE a PBC too. FARK!!! Where am I gonna put all this stuff? More importantly, how do I hide them? :shock:

I have the pizza pan ash catcher but that's it really ... unless you count the brackets I made for my skewers so that I can use them to hang stuff (sprouts, taters, fatties) and prevent gravity from sliding them down.

A good way to deal with the ashes is to vacuum the inside with a shop vac. Works great and keeps the outside cleaner.

I haven't used anything but KB in it, so plan to experiment with a bit of lump and also try 100% hardwood briquets.

Just make sure that the fire is out. It's hard on shop vacs if it isn't :-D

I've used Royal Oak briquettes, RO Lump and Rancher briquettes in mine and all work fine. It seemed that I got a longer burn out of briquettes.

No mods so far. I am interested in any ideas that come up here.

I've been using a disposable pizza pan as an ash catcher but think I need to do the more permanent mod. otherwise, just some sheet magnets to shut it down faster.

Crap. Now, I not only NEED a stick burner, and a pellet pooper (Thanks a LOT Ronelle, Jeanie, Lynn and that fark in Nebraska...) I apparently MUST HAVE a PBC too. FARK!!! Where am I gonna put all this stuff? More importantly, how do I hide them? :shock:

All the cool kids have a PBC, but remember everybody hates the cool kids, except other cool kids, and those needing a date Saturday night, or have access to beer.

Stubbs is excellent but I've used many different types of all natural briquettes, never have used KBB. Unless I get lazy I use 75% briquette 25% lump and about a beer can size chunk of pecan. My percentages may be more exact at times than others due to beer consumption. Also have used Kingsford Comp and find it an excellent product.

All the cool kids have a PBC, but remember everybody hates the cool kids, except other cool kids, and those needing a date Saturday night, or have access to beer.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwohsmPyrDg&index=3&list=PL-FMdthfYNpRncNbWPiEpwsruayflxvmL"]Imma Kill Somebody - YouTube[/ame]

Back