Pop-Up Shelter Questions

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So my spousal unit advised me the other day that she had volunteered to host the whole family for Easter lunch and had told them that I would be cooking the meat - brisket, chicken, sausage, and pulled pork. Nothing makes me happier than the prospect of a big ol' backyard cook, which in this case will have to involve at least two (maybe three) cookers and 12 - 14 hours spent out in the backyard superintending the process. Since serving time will be about 1:00, I will have to do some overnight duty, but as long as I can stay awake during church that is no real hardship. The issue is this - for the past 6 months I have been receiving immunotherapy for case of Stage 4 metastatic melanoma and the medication makes my skin extremely sensitive to UV radiation. I am not allowed out in the sun for more than 15 minutes without long sleeves, sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, etc., etc. I want to buy an EZ-UP type unit to put out on the patio while I am cooking. I know that a lot of the Brethren use these things so I would like some recommendations as to size and brand to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a Quik Shade Weekender and I would not recommend it...seems to be pretty rickety compared to some others.

Had a cheapo (can't remember brand because was only used once) that was flimsy & a real pain to assemble.

Bought an official EZ-UP and am very satisfied with ease of set-up and sturdiness.

IMHO you have to look at trade offs.

I have 3 pop ups - 2 EZ Ups 10x10 white from Sams. I love them but they are a pain to put them up by yourself and they are too heavy for me to take with us to the beach or a family outing. They cost 189.00 ea.

I have a smaller EZ up that I found at Walgreens of all places one night marked down to 79.00. It is like the big ones from Sams but more light weight and I can handle it by myself. I am not sure of the Model numbers but my point is if you are just going to use it every once in a while I would go lighter.

Happy with my EZ-UP. Had it for five years and still works great.

I like my EZ UP 10X10- you may want two Just remember to tie them down in case its windy A lot of people fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and tie that to the frame A few of these will keep things safe Have fun

When you're looking at EZ-UPs and comparing price, note that some provide the footprint measurement (i.e. 10x10) but that at the top the awning size is actually smaller (I think more like 8x8) - the poles angle in so the top awning measurement is shorter than the measurement between poles at ground level.

EZ-UP also makes ones where the poles go straight up and the footprint size is the same as the awning size. But I think those cost a bit more since the awning is larger.

Just wanted you to be aware of that issuer when comparing sizes and prices, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input, Bros. I have been looking at a 12x12 at Academy. I probably don't need to cover the offset but the WSM and I will fit under that. Does the smoke discolor the awning fabric?

I've had a couple of 10x10 EZ-UPs in the past, and was happy with them. I just got off their website and can say that their new Vantage recreational EZ-UP looks awesome.

I'm happy this thread got started. I've been thinking about picking up a new pop-up for backyard cooks, so the timing is copacetic! :thumb:

Thanks for the input, Bros. I have been looking at a 12x12 at Academy. I probably don't need to cover the offset but the WSM and I will fit under that. Does the smoke discolor the awning fabric?

Yessir! That's why I'm going to get a blue one! TBS discolors blue, right?:rolleyes:

One last point make sure you get side panels if you need to be out of the sun. The shades mostly work when sun is overhead.

Have an 8x8 slant leg ez up. I also have some sweet ez up brand sandbags that attach to the leg bottoms and weigh about 40lbs when full.

Academy has a sale on the Sierra II EZ UPS right now. 10x10 for $49.99 and 12x12 for $79.00. I've got the EZ UP that has the extra little top that allows smoke to go out and have been grilling and smoking under it for three years with no discoloration.

Cool. I'll run by Academy at lunch time. I am planning to eventually pick up one of those custom cartoon banners with some sort of bogus "team name" to impress the guests.

Look on Amazon. We bought a 10x20 wedding canopy party tent with carrying case for 129.98 shipped. There are several on there.

bought a 12 x 12 walmart special...easy to put up and lite weight

I have a 10X10 easy up that has mosquito net sides. I just use a cheap tarp from lowes for a sun block side. The screen walls are pretty necessary in buggy south Louisiana. It is much easier to spread out and set up with 2 folks. To do it alone ya can stake down one leg and carefully open it from the catacorner leg. Easier with help though.

Back