• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

the lighting of tattoo

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

here's how i lit the mini egg tonight. a little trick i learned from stike on the bge forum...

paper towel drizzled with canola oil

rjswib-002.jpg

twist and light both ends

rjswib-005.jpg

rjswib-008.jpg

initial temperature rise from the flames

rjswib-010.jpg

then a drop in temperature as the flames go out and the fire grows deep into the lump pile

rjswib-011.jpg

rjswib-012.jpg

a little too much of a drop in temperature so let me introduce you to my little friend!

rjswib-015.jpg

rjswib-013.jpg

rjswib-016.jpg

break up the "crust" of charcoal that has formed over the fire within to let the flames out using a thirdeye mini egg wiggle rod, of course

rjswib-018.jpg

add apple chips

rjswib-020.jpg

wait for the white smoke to turn blue

rjswib-021.jpg

rjswib-024.jpg

now we're cooking! :biggrin:

rjswib-025.jpg

the same basic principles can be used on any size egg or ceramic cooker and i imagine kettles too

Nice sequence RTD...

Question : Can you explain " break up the "crust" of charcoal that has formed over the fire within to let the flames out" ?

Never did that before (at least not at start of burn).. Do you do this only when trying to get temps up very high for grilling, pizza etc. ??

Nice sequence RTD...

Question : Can you explain " break up the "crust" of charcoal that has formed over the fire within to let the flames out" ?

Never did that before (at least not at start of burn).. Do you do this only when trying to get temps up very high for grilling, pizza etc. ??

yes, sir. to get the higher temps you need to break up the top of the lump pile and let the flamage out. for low-n-slow cooks, the fire under the crust that grows toward the air source at the charcoal grate will maintain a 250 degree dome temp no problem, but for cooking at 450 and higher, the flames must be released. just my experience and imho and my two cents. :biggrin:

yes, sir. to get the higher temps you need to break up the top of the lump pile and let the flamage out. for low-n-slow cooks, the fire under the crust that grows toward the air source at the charcoal grate will maintain a 250 degree dome temp no problem, but for cooking at 450 and higher, the flames must be released. just my experience and imho and my two cents. :biggrin:

Thanks RTD...will be sure to try this on the medium tomorrow as I'm planning on jacking up the temps real high for some pizza's for lunch. Never thought about it before but makes sense.. always just tried to get there with airflow at the bottom vent and daisywheel.

See any problems doing this for high heat with plate setter ?

Thanks RTD...will be sure to try this on the medium tomorrow as I'm planning on jacking up the temps real high for some pizza's for lunch. Never thought about it before but makes sense.. always just tried to get there with airflow at the bottom vent and daisywheel.

See any problems doing this for high heat with plate setter ?

nope, i do it all the time. just don't open everything all the way right after you put in the plate setter and pizza stone. choke the fire back to burn at a steady 350 for awhile until the ceramics have a chance to heat up, then stir up the lump and let er rip. sometime, the lump will not need stirring; it depends on the amount of small pieces on the top of the lump pile...

Yep, nice tutorial Rick. I use my wiggle rod the same way.

Great post Rick...will it work as well on a large? It would beat wasting propane and poppin' lump all over the place. :cool:

Great post Rick...will it work as well on a large? It would beat wasting propane and poppin' lump all over the place. :cool:

toss in two or three oil drizzled paper towel twists for a large. if you get part of the twist down in a hole between some large lump pieces it works great.

tattoo has big nuts :biggrin:

rjswib-049.jpg

bacon fat smoke is white.

is there any place in the states to get one of those looflighters?

As usual very informative and helpful Rick. Do you need to try to get the bottom charcoals lit if you are doing low and slow or burns for burger or chicken around 350. I like your little friend squeeze bottle. Ever have a problem of the flame coming back to the source- bottle

As usual very informative and helpful Rick. Do you need to try to get the bottom charcoals lit if you are doing low and slow or burns for burger or chicken around 350. I like your little friend squeeze bottle. Ever have a problem of the flame coming back to the source- bottle

nope. always light from the top.

that's not a squeeze bottle, it's a small, personnal fan to increase the draft through the bottom vent. it really works well. did you think i was spraying rum or lighter fluid into the bottom of the egg? :eek:
no lighter fluid, never, never, never.

Rick, so what I'm seeing is a 33 minute duration from start to cook?

yep, that's what it was last night. it's not that long using other lighting methods like the weedburner or starter cubes. i just thought i'd present the twisted paper towel method for an option. the drop in temp to 200 was unexpected so i pulled out the fan to get it the fire growing... it wouldn't have taken that long if i would have stayed with the egg instead of coming in the house and playing on the computer while working on a twelve pack

Back