A little advice.

hcarter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Where do ya'll get your wood. ( I know I am opening myself up for some jokes here ) All I seem to be able to get are bags of mesquite. Anything else I can find is just small bags of Jack Daniel's wood chips. It's not bad, but I can't afford to buy 20 bags at a time. Any ideas are appreciated.

I pick up wood off the streets when the tree guys don't take it. I use it for my wood burning stove and smoker. Lucked out with a truck full of cherry that one guy delivered to me. Had to split it myself.

In addition to mesquite, major grocery stores here also care chunks and chips of hickory. One store regularly carries Apple chips and used to occaisionally carry pecan. Haven't seen the latter for some time:( Both Lowes and HomeDepot also carry hickory chunks around here.

dmp

There's a place near me that sells wood for fireplaces and will sometimes have hickory in stock. I buy it there, or if they are out of stock, I buy bags of Hickory chunks from Wal-Mart. I prefer the logs over the chunks, but you use what you can get.

I have been known to bring some pulled pork or brisket over to the guys trimming the trees.... After that they are more than helpful, actually ended up with a whole apple tree cut to length one time...

Just make sure you know what you are getting... There are a number of trees (mostly of the pine variety) that can be VERY bad not only for your food, but you as well!!!!

Check with Nurseries. They sometimes have smoking-quality woods from their tree trimming folks.

I usually buy all my chunks at Westlake Ace Hardware...Around here they have a lot of varieties and you can buy chunks or logs...

I hooked up with a small family owned sawmill. I take a 6' x 10' trailer with 3' sides on it, and get it loaded with hickory logs precut to 12-15 inches in length. I pay 100 bucks per load. That's the best thing to do, contact local sawmills and local tree trimming outfits.

It really is a regional issue. I dont think some people realize that good smoke wood is not available in every part of the country. I'm not sure what type of trees are up in columbus, but around here its mesquite and mesquite.

If your looking for a place to order wood chunks online, I have always found Cabelas to be great and reasonably priced. I order my cherry and apple chunks from them. Fruit wood is just not available in this region, so mail order is my only option. The chunks are perfect sized for my WSM and party. A 10 lb bag is $8.

They base their shipping on $ spent, not weight. Up to $25 is 4.95, and 25-50 spent is $7.95 shipping. I always order about 6 bags of chunks which is 60 lbs and it is only 7.95 shipping.

I can get all the mesquite or pecan I want locally, so I buy that wood by the cord for the offset cooker.

If you have an Academy Sports near you they sell hickory and pecan in large bags for $9.00. They call them mini logs. They are all about 10" long and about 3" round. They usually have the bags of hickory, mesquite and pecan chunks too. If you needa larger supply the above ideas are great. I don't use enough to go to the tree guys. Especially with a UDS. They hardly use any.

I get mine from the back lot mostly. Also from tree trimmers I know and a couple of hardwood lumber mills in the area. Check around for a steam engine club in your area that has summer and fall shows. If they have a saw mill running there will be some free offal.

WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot are the best places to look. Kroger and Meijer may also have some. I've noticed here in Dayton that it is pretty much just mesquite on the shelves as well. Luckily I still have a couple large bags of hickory chunks. I also have some Red Oak and Hickory logs stacked up in the garage that I can cut into chunks.

Pecan Grove, the Apple Producers, Back Yard (mesquite for grilling and fire), and BBQ Galore when I want to bite the bullet for some cherry chunks.

I guess were are lucky here on west coast. I found a place on line that countryhb had recommended to me also called the woodshed. They have all kinds of fruit tree wood, red oak, hickory. real good place, new owner is real nice, BBQ-er himself, and so BBQ-er friendly. They supply restaurants, but give us bbq-ers great prices also. I have also found a few sites on line that will ship firewood to you. worth a look... http://www.firewoodguy.com/. good luck!

I get mine from a couple of local pool and spa places that deal with all outdoor equiptment. They stock Pecan, apple, cherry and hickory.

I guess I did not realize how lucky I am to have several choices in smoking woods. We have Berry Bros out here that stock several types of smoking woods and a wide variety of fire wood. Thomas treats us well and directs us to some unsual choices.

Right now I am enjoying some pistachio, wild cherry, white oak and olive. A little goes a long way in my stump's and BGE. However, they do come in split logs, so I have to cut them down to chunks.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I may go look at lowes and home depot to see what I can find. appreciate all the help.

Yea its a regional issu wood is plentiful around here I can to south Fort worth at anytime and end up with a truckload of pecan and all of our albertson's carry pecan,hickory oak and mesquite logs in big bags for 9.99 not chunks logs.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I may go look at lowes and home depot to see what I can find. appreciate all the help.

Here in Charleston the HD and Lowes only appear to carry hickory and misquite.

Back