CyberQ Wifi: infrastructure problems?

McGG

Knows what a fatty is.
I edited the title, because I think it was a bit much.

I've been fighting to get it working on my network for about 4 hours now. My time is too valuable to be spent on such things, and frankly the whole product seems a bit half baked. Considering that it cost me $450 to get it to my door, I expect more. I am a somewhat sophisticated network user who has implemented any number of home networks. I think the product is actually flawed, and a few quick searches indicate that I am not alone. It certainly does not have an interface that can be considered professional by any stretch. I can get it working in adhoc mode just fine....but setting up the infrstructure mode is, to be generous, a terrible implementation. The software appears to have been coded by an intern.

It may work very well as an ATC....I'm not sure. I'm not going to bother hooking it up to the Egg. If it can't do the fun internet stuff, then I have no interest, and an IQ110 is a better solution.

After all of the love for BBQ Guru on the net, I'm surprised at how cobbled together the product feels.

I'm rarely this disappointed in a purchase, as I am an exhaustive researcher.

Last edited:
I have ventured into this before with the CyberQ and seemed to find myself in a world of unknown.

I again, do not have one but it seems odd that people are having trouble. What do you mean about Internet stuff? You say you are a sophisticated network user, does that mean the unit does not work at all?

Setting it up as an adhoc connection works but a normal wireless connection is next to impossible, that just seems like an extreme statement. is this unit a real poor quality product or is it a user error issue?

I have ventured into this before with the CyberQ and seemed to find myself in a world of unknown.

I again, do not have one but it seems odd that people are having trouble. What do you mean about Internet stuff? You say you are a sophisticated network user, does that mean the unit does not work at all?

Setting it up as an adhoc connection works but a normal wireless connection is next to impossible, that just seems like an extreme statement. is this unit a real poor quality product or is it a user error issue?

You last question is a good one, and always difficult to tell.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I don't think so. I've set up (and tested to be working) a dedicated AP for the CyberQ. If I am missing a setting, it is a very non-obvious one...which forces one to conclude that the setup isn't exactly a quality interface in itself.

But from what I can see, the wifi settings page is not complicated, and more or less a standard wifi infrastructure mode setup screen. I have seen far more complicated devices.

Or is it something not operating within the standard wifi protocols? I don't know at this point.

I'm stubborn, so I am going to keep trying...but the ease of the adhoc connection leads me to believe there is a a bug or flaw in the infrastructure mode.

In any case, the web app is very....clunky...to be generous.

Ok, it appears to be working, although I'm uncertain of what made it start. It's not as bad as still having a problem, but not understanding what the solution was does no help for other people.

I think BBQ Guru needs to clean up the interface and maybe update the firmware on the infrastructure side, PDQ.

I connected via ad hoc from my laptop. Typed in all the settings for infra and saved then unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. Conected to my wifi just fine and was able to access via web on any computer on my network. I agree the interface and hardware in the unit are clunky and slow, but it does its job.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear about your guru issues. I don't own a guru so I can't pretend to help you. But it does sound like you've done everything on your part to get it to work. One thing I tell people that have wireless issues is try to go wired if all possible. I use a Ethernet over power adapter by netgear w/out issues on my stoker. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Still can't get infrastructure mode to work. In contrast, ad hoc mode is easy. Smoking a butt on my Smokin Tex, BBQ Guru Wifi, Power Raptor. Had to leave for a few hours. Would have given me less concerned if I could access my pit and probe numbers remotely.

My old router was old tech. So, bought a new Cisco Linksys EA4500. Much faster downloads than older unit. Range is also greater; reception now whole house. Had been considering a wifi extender, now no need.

Like the EA4500. Suggestions welcomed on getting these parts to interoperate.

Still can't get infrastructure mode to work. In contrast, ad hoc mode is easy. Smoking a butt on my Smokin Tex, BBQ Guru Wifi, Power Raptor. Had to leave for a few hours. Would have given me less concerned if I could access my pit and probe numbers remotely.

My old router was old tech. So, bought a new Cisco Linksys EA4500. Much faster downloads than older unit. Range is also greater; reception now whole house. Had been considering a wifi extender, now no need.

Like the EA4500. Suggestions welcomed on getting these parts to interoperate.

I'm not certain what I did to get infrastructure working. I originally just did the static IP, and when that didn't work resorted to DHCP. That's when it started to work. After that, I then did a static IP, and it seems to have fixed it.

No clue what was wrong, and why it starting working. I think it does take a long time to handshake with the router/network...so maybe I wasn't being patient enough.

On the other hand, the web app works great on my blackberry.

See http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133899 for an explanation of my workaround by adding a dedicated access point that the CyberQ Wifi would work with.

The implementation of Infrastructure mode is obviously buggy. I thought I had a defective unit at first and tried resetting it a number of times along with setting up the wireless router to run in different modes and even removed wirelss security. Nothing worked. BBQ Guru didn't respond to my questions, so I figured that I was on my own. In fact, their SPAM filter appears to be set to reject emails that have CyberQ in the text. I tried an old B/G access point as a last resort and it works perfectly. My router speaks ABGN, but apparently the CyberQ is looking for something that I don't have.

Good luck with it.

Wireless G Settings that worked

I tried an old B/G access point as a last resort and it works perfectly. My router speaks ABGN, but apparently the CyberQ is looking for something that I don't have.

I know this is an old thread, but since I ran into a similar issue I thought I would chime in with what resolved the issue for me. My router ASUS RT-AC68u was configured for N only on the 2.4 GHz band which the Cyber-Q does not support. So I had to make a config change on 2.4GHz to use the following settings

Wireless Mode: Auto (This includes G as well as N)
Channel Bandwidth: 20 MHz

Other settings which worked, but I did not have to change are

Control Channel: 3
Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
WPA Pre-Shared Key: ****************

Once these changes were made it worked just fine. After figuring out the solution I noticed on a subsequent read of the manual for firmware 3.1 that Wireless G is required so it's in there, but it didn't jump out at me on the first read and sure caused me some frustration and the loss of an hour or two to get infrastructure mode setup.

wish i could tell you what the issue was, mine worked right out of the gate, i just read the parts of the manual that pertained to setting it up, and it worked just fine...

I did however download a 3rd party app, Pit Pal, its way more complete than the simple web interface.

The only issues i have with it, is when i go above what it was meant to do, i've been trying to get it connected to a virtual network that has a shared connection (ive tried different types of shared and bridged connections) to my home network, so i can log onto the virtual network from my tablet, and access it anywhere i go that has internet. I've got the virtual network set up and working, but cant seem to get the connections shared the way it needs to be.

Back