• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Temp and Done Temp help?

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some advice. Have had moderate success with brisket, but I can't seem to be consistent with times and/or done temp. Have done the probe test as well. All have been decent, but I'm a creature of habit and would like to do the same thing every time. Thoughts?

Temps and times are guidelines only, bbq is done when it's done. If you don't focus so much on temps and focus on the meat, chances are you'll get more comfortable cooking by "feel". Besides, no two pieces of meat are alike, so therefore they cannot possibly all cook to the same time/temp.

I'm sure bludawg will chime in soon with his "rules for successful Q".

Each piece of meat is different. You can use loose guidelines to know when to start checking for doneness but if you are looking for a magic time or a magic IT temp to pull a brisket, you aren't going to get anybody to agree on the exact number.

@ 250-275 degrees it will take approximately 45mins-1hr per pound to cook, you can adjust that accordingly if you run lower or higher than that temperature range. Start probing for doneness around 195ish internal temperature. The last brisket I did (13lb packer) probed tender at 212 degrees before it gave up the goods.

Each piece of meat is different. You can use loose guidelines to know when to start checking for doneness but if you are looking for a magic time or a magic IT temp to pull a brisket, you aren't going to get anybody to agree on the exact number.

What he said.

For me, process is the key, there are no perfect numbers to rely upon. But, you can have a process that yields good brisket results consistently. Where you can create habits is in how you prepare your meat and cooker, when and how you cook, when you either wrap or temp a brisket and when and how you determine to pull if from the cooker. For me...

I always like to use a almost room temperature brisket.

My current process, which has proven very reliable for me, is to put the meat on when the cooker hits 225F, it will immediately drop to 215F or so. I let it ride, all vents open, until it hits around 250F, then I set my vents to where I always set them, this gives me a grate temperature around 280F to 300F. I don't rely on temperature for any of the rest of the cook.

After 2 hours, I check for color, if it's good, I wrap, if not, I check again in 1 hour, if it's good, I wrap. I use butcher paper, never foil. From here, I let it ride for at least 90 minutes. I will lift the entire package and feel it, squeeze it, if it's at all hard, then another 90 minutes. Repeat. Until when I squeeze it and it feels soft. When that happens, I probe for tender, I look for almost no resistance.

I realize you want a real Road map, with speed and time listed out, other than Hozman, I know of very few cooks who have had success using internal temperatures. All of the best brisket cooks I personally know use feel alone. Time and temperature are relative. My brisket cooks changed dramatically when I stopped temping the meat and learned to feel it. I also cook hotter than I used to, letting the pit run itself around 300F, thanks to Pitmaster T and Saiko for that knowledge.

Back