• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Building a Pizza oven & a smoker

V-wiz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey gang, in the near future i plan on building a brick wood fired pizza oven in the backyard (outdoor kitchen). Would it make any sense to build a smoker also next to the oven (not connected). A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?

Hey gang, in the near future i plan on building a brick wood fired pizza oven in the backyard (outdoor kitchen). Would it make any sense to build a smoker also next to the oven (not connected). A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?
I haven't seen it done, but it's possible by using a door.

"A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?"

I could be wrong, but a pizza oven would probably get ruined from all of the seasoning from slow cooked meats. By that I mean it'd get all greasey and nasty.

That being said, I don't have a wood fired oven. If I did, I don't think I'd cook anything in it but pizza and breads.

Matt

"A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?"

I could be wrong, but a pizza oven would probably get ruined from all of the seasoning from slow cooked meats. By that I mean it'd get all greasey and nasty.

That being said, I don't have a wood fired oven. If I did, I don't think I'd cook anything in it but pizza and breads.

Matt

Many many people cook meat/roasts in the pizza oven. Do you know how hot these things get? If there was any grease from meat the fire would burn it all out.

Off the top of my head, I imagine there's a way to build the pizza oven with a firebox below, vertical style, and have a smoker cooking chamber beside it like an offset design. Then it'd just be a matter of using exhaust dampers on both cookers so you can route the heat into one or the other.

Or you could have two cookers for simplicity sake.

Did someone say pizza smoker?
157.jpg

V-wiz I had the same plan when I built my WFO but never did the smoker part. The learning curve using the oven itself to smoke or slowcook meats is really more then I cared to invest in especially since I built my UDS. I did put in a butt once when the temp had dropped to 300 and pulled out in the morning when the temp was at 195 and it was very good, not UDS great though.

Once I fire my oven for pizza and the temps get over about 600F, the carbon burns off the walls, I can fire my oven on Doug Fir and finish with oak and maple without any pitchy flavors. Grease would burn off too.

I based my oven plans on those by Rado of traditionaloven.com. If I had to do It again I would make a shorter wall height as I made it big enough to cook a turkey and now I doubt I'll ever need that much heighth.

That said, having a pizza oven makes pizza night at our house very fun and interactive.

V-wiz I had the same plan when I built my WFO but never did the smoker part. The learning curve using the oven itself to smoke or slowcook meats is really more then I cared to invest in especially since I built my UDS. I did put in a butt once when the temp had dropped to 300 and pulled out in the morning when the temp was at 195 and it was very good, not UDS great though.

Once I fire my oven for pizza and the temps get over about 600F, the carbon burns off the walls, I can fire my oven on Doug Fir and finish with oak and maple without any pitchy flavors. Grease would burn off too.

I based my oven plans on those by Rado of traditionaloven.com. If I had to do It again I would make a shorter wall height as I made it big enough to cook a turkey and now I doubt I'll ever need that much heighth.

That said, having a pizza oven makes pizza night at our house very fun and interactive.

Thanks for the info. Im really tempted to build a smoker also, but i just dont want to make something that can be done in one unit, sorta stuck here.

There is someone on that fornobravo site that built a WFO, with a separate firebox to use the WFO as a smoker with a door on it. Search around on that site.

I have a design that can do both. The basic core of it is what I use for my smoker, and I occasionally build small temporary earthen ovens in place of the smoker. I use it in an unfinished state, but it could certainly be used as the "engine" inside a masonry built unit that could be used as both oven or smoker, with excellent temperature control. As well, the heat you don't use to cook can be shunted into heated seating if desired. It's a bit detailed to explain here, but if you are interested I'd be happy to walk you through the design. I'm not selling anything, btw.

My pizza oven works great as an oven. My smoker works great as a smoker. They are different, and have different goals. Sometimes when you combine functions into one unit, you get something that is not really as good as it should be at either task.

Build a pizza oven, then build a smoker. Two is better than one.

Back