Anbody Here Ever Smoke Northern Pike ??

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
My son just called, his wife's grandfather just got home with several Northern Pike and was wondering if we could smoke them.

I have smoked a lot of Salmon but never a pike.

Any of you sports folks have any thoughts?

Several recipes on Google, but wanted to ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

I grew up in Minnesota and one of our Norwegian neighbors would smoke smoke Pike and Muskee every summer - it tasted so amazing alone on on crackers with fresh dill. It has been over 20 years but I remember that they used alder wood at low temperature with a higher temperature finish and they did this between lunch and dinner. They also marinaded it overnight before smoking with a brine of Brown sugar, salt, garlic and black pepper. I have no idea of proportions. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Don't forget to watch out for those Y bones...

I hear they're hard to keep lit:becky:........sorry....couldn't resist.

Im from the land of smoked northern. Never personally done it but I know you have to brine it for some period of time before smoking. Ive always seen it in 2-3" wide strips. I suppose you could hang the whole filets when smoking. It is good when done right. Northerns are a poor fish to eat but the seem to do well smoked (must have a higher fat content in the meat, which probably also leads to the crap flavor compared to crappies-sunfish-walleye)

Im from the land of smoked northern. Never personally done it but I know you have to brine it for some period of time before smoking. Ive always seen it in 2-3" wide strips. I suppose you could hang the whole filets when smoking. It is good when done right. Northerns are a poor fish to eat but the seem to do well smoked (must have a higher fat content in the meat, which probably also leads to the crap flavor compared to crappies-sunfish-walleye)

WHOA cross the river and I'll make you northern that you would swear is walleye or perch.. My fussy wife who won't eat fish eats my northern and my 4 year old can't get enough!!!

Properly prepared it's some of the best fish out there next to Lawyer..

As far as smoking it.. I wouldn't i would look for something fattier like white fish or chubs.

O and if anyone needs a idea what or how to deal with Y-bones.. Cut that slab off and pickle it. The bones dissolve in the brine! :becky:

I can't speak about smoking it but I've eaten a lot of it. About the Y-bones, a lot of people simply grind pike and make pattys out of it.

Smoked northern quite a bit here. 1 cup canning salt. 1/2 cup brown sugar. 9 cups water. Brine overnight. Smoke with apple wood in mid 200's until fish is done and begins to flake
Chill overnight. Serve on crackers with plenty of good beer with the good folks who were kind enough to provide it

Back