Curing a ham

It may not help you this time, but for all my brining needs, I use THE BRINER.

I got this some time ago and I love it. I had 6 large whole chickens in it this weekend and it's what I used to brine that 15 lb whole fresh ham too.

I'm in Norco, aka Horsetown, USA. Its no use though. I needed to get it done tonight as I'm a fireman and have to work a 24 hr shift tomorrow. So I won't be able to start it curing until Friday. Not trying to sound like a whiner. Its just how it is. This ham is a beast, weighing in at 22 lbs (whole/untrimmed). So it wouldn't be ready for Easter.

Oh well, I can always fall back on the old stand by, the Leg of Lamb. Always a hit...

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

plenty of time! just inject the crap out of it.

Having trouble finding Instacure #1 (pink salt). Grrr

I feel your pain! I have been searching grocery stores, wall-mart, spice stores and butchers. I finally got a guy from Penn Dutch meats to give me 2 cups of pink salt. Not sure what brand it is, so I am a little skeptical of how much of it to use. The guy at the store wouldn't sell me any, he said he could not sell it to me because it is a controlled substance. I could by crack easier than getting my hands on the stuff!

He was a moron it is not a controlled substance. And just buy from online :)

plenty of time! just inject the crap out of it.

Hmmm... I'm not a big fan of injecting. It always seems to come out smooshy (is that a word?). Probably need to cook it longer.

But, if I brine and inject it on Friday for a week. Rinse/soak it for a day on Sat and then smoke/cook it on Easter Sunday. Does that sound do able?

Hmmm... I'm not a big fan of injecting. It always seems to come out smooshy (is that a word?). Probably need to cook it longer.

But, if I brine and inject it on Friday for a week. Rinse/soak it for a day on Sat and then smoke/cook it on Easter Sunday. Does that sound do able?

I'm not sure about the timeline above, but you will want to make sure that you remove it from the soak out on Sat night and keep in the fridge on a rack uncovered at least overnight.

This will accomplish 2 things.
1) allow the cure/water to re-equalize as well as allow for any excess moisture to drain off

2)Pellicle formation, it will develop a kind of shiny/sticky coat which helps the smoke to stick.

I would inject. it wont be smooshy or mushy. If it will be a week, I would ensure you dont have pieces bigger than 14lbs.

I would inject. it wont be smooshy or mushy. If it will be a week, I would ensure you dont have pieces bigger than 14lbs.
I am with you Samfsu. I just started a 13 pound ham today and I left the skin on so basically I have to inject it. But I want that crispy skin. It's just for the house and when it's ready I am gonna smoke it, slice it and store it. Not really concerned about having it for Easter.

No no no no it may leach unhealthy chemicals into your food.

I agree, if it's not food grade I wouldn't use it.

If they don't have them at a local BBQ shop, a home brewing store will also sell food grade buckets for fermenting fruit for wines.

What did you decide to do Just BS?

I decided not to rush things and will smoke it the week after Easter. I never seem to have a lack of friends when I fire up the smoker, so its all good.

I found Instacure #1 at a local spice shop. $8/pound. So for others out there like me that are looking.for pink salt at the last minute, there's another option for ya.

As for the ham, I'm gonna do it whole without injecting. I'll start another thread next week for ya all to follow along. Thanks for all your help!

Today's the Day!

Cool! If it is bone in, I would still suggest injecting.

I'm convinced. Since I'm doing a whole ham I'm gonna inject and get it into a curing brine today. Thanks for your help Samfsu.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure that it will turn out great. 1LB of pink salt will last a really long time. Now that you have it on hand you can start working on other cured and smoked meats, tasso ham, canadian bacon, buckboard bacon, bacon style bacon, skie's the limit!

Does 8 Tablesppons of Instacure #1 sound like a lot to anybody else?

Wet brinning is easier and produces a nice product, and you wont have to worry about bone sour...! I have done this several times and as long as you have several days of drying before cooking you will be pleased with the outcome.

I'd suggest you inject.....

I injected my last, 21* shank ham, I let it sit in the brine for 9 days @ 39 degres then dry rubbed with the Morton's sugar cure for 4 days @ 39 degrees and the center was still lighter pink than the outer sections....

Back