Thread: Tatonka Dust
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Default Tatonka Dust

I got my hands on some Owen’s BBQ Tatonka Dust. First off the lick test was very pleasing. It’s a very umami rub without a lot of biting spice and overpowering flavors. It’s really a great marriage of some common and some unique ingredients. I figured there was nothing better for the first food test than steak. So I cooked up some sirloins for my family and seasoned mine with Tatonka dust. Since the kids don’t like surprises yet, I stick with what they like for theirs.

It’s very dark in color and has a very unique and good flavor. Time to cook this piece of cow meat up! So I threw it in to my YS640 indirectly at 475*.

It cooked up to a very nice Medium Rare and as juicy as can be.

The flavor was fantastic. It is a rub that won’t jump out and slap you in the face. It does what a rub is truly supposed to do and complement the meat, not overpower it. When I ate the steak, I was treated with the great beefy flavor of the steak and the Tatonka Dust hung out in the background like a great band complementing the lead melody. It was a nice change to have a complementary rub not an overbearing rub. Nice garlic and onion flavor with very umami flavors was a perfect pairing with steak.

I don’t have pictures, but I wanted to try it with a more bland meat, so later in the week I grilled some chicken breasts, one seasoned with Tatonka Dust. It again acted as a complement, not an overpowering flavor. I was very pleasantly surprised at how it didn’t take over the chicken but just added to it.

Thanks MossyMo for making a great rub! I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

Thanks from: --->