Any interest in a SW bash?

Ok, here is the direction I'm leaning.

https://cedarcovervpark.com

I have been checking out their website and reading reviews. It is located in Elephant Butte, NM. It's near the lake but not on the lake. They have RV's to rent or hotels are not too far away. There is a lot of space. A few drawbacks, no trees, so not much shade. Also, if it gets windy there will be a lot of sand flying. But that is par for the course with wind in the southwest. It is a 45 minute drive to Hatch, NM for all of the green chile fanatics like myself. If you want to go fishing, it's a 5 minute drive to the lake.

I'm going to go check it out in person in a few weeks and get more details about the place. I would prefer the mountains in southern AZ. So if you know that area and think you have a great spot in mind please bring it to the table.

We need to keep in mind the fall can have some nasty weather in the mountains. My .02.

Any and all ideas welcome. I'm hoping we can make it as convenient as possible for everyone to attend.

Howdy,

On a lark I happened to check the gatherings forum and saw this. I’d be up for something in the fall. We’ve got 40 acres (80 with my parents 40 acres just south of us) in St John’s, AZ, but unfortunately it’s completely undeveloped at the moment and not the easiest to get vehicles into. I’m going to keep an eye open on this thread to see if things solidify as time goes on.

Thanks Shadow. I've been looking at a few places. Mainly Bluewater Lake near Grants, NM. currently the fire restrictions make it real hard to find a location.

Yeah, the fire restrictions are my main concern. I seem to recall them relaxing (if still in effect) toward Sept, so I think that was a wise choice for an initial WAG on the date.

Thanks for still looking for spots. Seems like there's some good interest out there.

Where do you guys think a good location would be? Are the other bashes a camping deal or just a day event?

Think Woodstock. :twisted: The more folks that can get there need to travel, may need to camp, RV hookup, Hotel etc. The location is important. The Magic only happens for one day unless someone makes a 2 day bash possible. :thumb:
Comes in handy when planning. Looks like AZRaptor has it going on!

Last edited:
Well now it's on. SD, any chance of giving us a hop there? I know folks at Barksdale. :wink:

Lord, I wish. I'll be taking "Use or Lose" for this one, so I hope to have facial hair for the event. - Love the idea, though!

"Well now it's on." - No pressure, Pig... just don't F-it-up.... :tape:.

No specific timeline that I've seen, so I'm still aiming for mid-late Sept until Pig & Co. can narrow down good spots for us.

Best regards,
Shadow / Marc

Aerotech, I'm a fan of Az in the fall. Do you know of a good place in eastern Az.

Off of I-40 going South has a lot of nice country. Might be a little cool for the fall but, it sure was nice in late Spring and Summer (Fall was always busy for me).

Any movement?

CINCHOUSE and I are trying to work leave and the calendar for September.

Give us a hollar as able. Would love to help make this happen.

Any movement?

CINCHOUSE and I are trying to work leave and the calendar for September.

Give us a hollar as able. Would love to help make this happen.

Shadow, right now I am just praying for rain so this can happen. Bluewater Lake State Park is about 30 minutes west of Grants, NM. It has a large group site that has water and power. “Group shelter #1 is adjacent to lower electric loop but not part of the loop itself. This shelter has water and electricity at the location and has plenty of parking for vehicles as well as limited parking for campers and RVs”. I am thinking of the weekend of September 14-16. With the Bash happening on the 15 of September. Grants will have the nearest hotels and the nearest airport will be Albuquerque (about an 1hr 20mins from Bluewater). Here is the catch…we need rain or they will not lift the fire restrictions and the SW Bash may not happen. I was going to try and take a drive out there this coming Sunday and take some pictures of the group site and post them. (Might as well go fishing while I’m there.) I am also looking in the Albuquerque area for a decent place to have the bash.

Questions, Comment, Concerns?

Back