• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What do you want in a cutting board

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've been making some cutting boards for Brethren and wanted to know what the comp guys look for. I heard from one team that they would like to have a 9 X 9 inlaid box in the corner to prep their turn in. Here's a pic of a board I finished today. It is 28" wide and 18-1/2 deep with a 9X9 in the upper left.

I can make these any size. What size is best for you guys? Any other additions?

040211_0292.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. It is my intention to make these available through Greenleaf BBQ.

Marty, I may be wrong but I think most comps do not allow wood cutting boards. No sure but just throwing this out.

As a fellow woodworker and bbq'er that is a thing of beauty! The deep trough is nice. How did you do the lines? We have been using a heavy wood carving board for slicing brisket at comps and have never been told not to. That however would never fly serving to the general public.

I have never heard of a rule saying you can't use wood cutting boards, but i think most teams use the throw away cutting boards because of their convenience.

That would be a nice board for the house!

Rich, it may be a regional thing about wooden cutting boards. The chili cook-off doesn't allow them either. Weird.
I know one thing, those boards Marty is making are a work of art. That big juice trough is a great idea.

I would ...
~like a cutting board that wont slip.
~prefer the 9X9 to be 8.5 X 8.5- easier for me to visualize with garnish.( perhaps both the 9 and 8.5 markings in the same section)
~insets on all four sides so it's easier to pick up
~thicker wall outside of the channel

I love a wood board when I'm home but at comps I like the plastic lunch trays the best. No leaks onto the table and easy cleanup. At $3 a pop its a bargain and they last all season too.

I love a wood board when I'm home but at comps I like the plastic lunch trays the best. No leaks onto the table and easy cleanup. At $3 a pop its a bargain and they last all season too.

:thumb:

easy to clean to, after washing, just bump them on your knee, and they are almost bone dry ready to use again.

What do you want in a cutting board?

Disposable...and cheap please! :becky:

yea same here. i get the larger size from rest depot i have a few wood laminate cutting board that fit nicely in the tray so the juice runs off but is still held in the tray.

As a fellow woodworker and bbq'er that is a thing of beauty! The deep trough is nice. How did you do the lines? We have been using a heavy wood carving board for slicing brisket at comps and have never been told not to. That however would never fly serving to the general public.

The black lines are pieces of 1/8" wide ebony inlaid into the maple

Actually if you made one that the disposable cutting boards would fit into that would be great. It would give it support and help keep them from sliding around and you could throw those away like a disposable liner keeping the board nice. The board would also work well as secondary containment in case the disposable leaked.

Clark

Thicker wall outside the channel. Overall I agree with the comments that I prefer the disposable to the wooden, but if you could figure out how to clamp a disposable on top to keep it from sliding, I'd be up for one of those to use at the site and at home.

FYI, the ebony lines are fantastic

Back