• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beginner Smoker for Grandfather - Suggestions?

SweetBlue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was visiting my grandparents for Easter when my grandpa said he had been thinking about trying his hand at smoking. He has some free time on his hands and he's always wanted to try it.

As you can imagine I was pretty elated. He wants a to start out with a cheaper unit then move to something nicer if he ends up liking the hobby.

I'd love to surprise him with a smoker. Can you guys offer some suggestions on a relatively inexpensive smoker that would be great for a beginner? Thanks to my father in-law I started out on a BGE so I don't have much experience with other types of smokers.

Thanks!
-Matt

Define 'inexpensive'. It's a relative term. :)

A UDS, WSM, or the small Traeger are probably the cheapest options... probably in that order too.

I think for someone just starting out a Akorn would be great. Very similar to the egg but a lot cheaper. If not that then a wsm (weber smokey mountiam) would be great.

I would consider a simple Weber One Touch gold. You can smoke on it and its pretty cheap and convenient. If you want to step it up, get a WSM. They are around $300 and very easy to cook on. I actually find the BGE and other Kamado type cookers have a slightly harder learning curve than the WSM or kettle's.

presumably he's not going to be cooking for large crowds (at least not at first)?

I'd consider building him a mini WSM

18.5" WSM would be my suggestion. Many a wonderful meal has been made on WSM's and at $299, it's hard to beat!

Pit Barrel Cooker is having a sale. Free shipping. Akorn amazing quality at a low price. WSM as set and forget as you can get for smoking but honestly I prefer the higher temps in the PBC.
The Mini WSM gets used a lot for 4 hour cooks around here. You have lots of options, best part is whatever you choose, you are right.
Where there's smoke, there's smiles.

Define smoking? does he want to cold smoke cheese and meat, or does he want to actually BBQ smoke? Don't want to p off the old man and get him the wrong setup.

^that is my pet peeve, people call 'em smokers, I call 'em BBQs, unless they are strictly cold smokers.

Speaking as a grandfather I would love it if a grandson wanted to build a smoker for me with me. I vote for a WSM that you both plan and build together.

This is a very inexpensive option.
728649739555lg.jpg

Lowes has them for $59.00

and what's wrorg with this one ??

I got this one at Lowe's for ~ $160 to replace my rusted out Braunfels side by side..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130059

I absolutely love it.. use it for hot smoking - fill the woodchip box - set at 190F and forget it for at least 2 hours.. before refilling the woodbox if needed..

I also use it for "cold smoking" with a large rectangular sieve and sawdust - using no heat - just light the sawdust on one side and I get at least 6 hours of smoke out of it...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2363602&postcount=48

Back