View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default it aint BBQ.. but its Steak.

Before anyone cracks with the why did u do that to a steak?.. say nothing until u try it.

Steak Pizziola.

Start with a saute of garlic and olive oil in a cast iron or oven proof.

While your working that pan, also prepare some (chunky)Italian style tomato sauce, use whole tomatoes slightly crushed by hand.

once the garlic starts to brown, add a can of sliced mushrooms, and some oregano and parsley. You can use fresh baby bellas, but they will add an earthyness to the sauce later. i like this recipe better with canned.

while the mushrooms brown, put some shell steaks(NY strip), rubbed with salt and pepper, under a HOT HOT broiler. Brown both sides quickly and remove as rare as possible. You just want to get them browned, not cooked. Once the steaks are out, set the oven to 350.

*** This step can also be done first, using a hot cast iron pan and laying a fast hard sear on steaks and setting aside in the fridge while u prepare the sauce and mushrooms.

Saute mushrooms until they start to brown, and remove from pan.

Deglaze pan with some red wine and add the steaks.

Turn the heat to medium and add some sauce over the steaks. Make sure u have plenty of extra sauce in the pan.

add the mushrooms and garlic, a sprig of fresh thyme goes great here too. Unfortunately, i didnt have any so used dried.

top with shredded mozzarella and asiago.

Return pan to oven and cook to desired doneness. I pull at 130 and let it climb to med-rare. Serve Al Italia! with a side of ziti and the mushrooms from the pan.

and this is after the first bite.

and this after the second.. What the hell is that green stuff doing in my dish. ?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->