Raising the kids to be Brethren....

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This morning, I was looking at a youtube video on cooking ribs. My 2 year old comes up and sits on my lap. When the guy on the video opened the smoker, she said "That meat looks good!" :eek::-D

Two videos later, I was watching one that had a WSM in it and she said, "That's like your cooker daddy" :eek::-D

Tonight, I decided to make a batch of homeade bbq rub. My 4 year old who is just starting to try new foods asked to help. We made it together and he said he wanted to try it. I gave him a glass of milk just in case he thought it was too spicy. I put a little on a spoon and he trield it and said, "That tastes good!" :eek: :-Dand proceeded to have a little more.

Finally, a little while ago I was surfing the Brethren board while the kids were taking their baths. The two year old came down and said, "Let's see some meat pictures daddy." :eek::-D

What a great day in the world of bbq! :-D:-D

Thats awesome Matt...sounds like your raising them right! My 4 year old tells me he's gonna be my bbq helper when he gets big, makes ya smile doesn't it :biggrin:

It's stories like this that make me wonder why we never decided to have kids. Then I see a child having a temper tantrum at a store and I remember why. :biggrin:
Seriously though, I love hearing stories like that, thanks for sharing!

Thats awesome Matt...sounds like your raising them right! My 4 year old tells me he's gonna be my bbq helper when he gets big, makes ya smile doesn't it :biggrin:

Thats awesome.. kids gotta love em.. So im not the only Matt on here, sweet action

Take heart, BO. It'll pass and it won't be too long before they realize that Mom and Dad are pretty smart people.

Chris

Matt your one lucky man, thanx for sharing a really great story

It doesn't stop when they are young... Took the GF's 16yo son to the "A Pretty Good BBQ 2009". He did great...

Keep up the good work, it does pay off when you get smarter again.... lol

Just the fact that they crawl up in your lap mans you're doing something right... Cherrish these days, because soon enough they will wonder howyou ever got to be so dumb. (Parent of teenagers speaking here)

Take heart, BO. It'll pass and it won't be too long before they realize that Mom and Dad are pretty smart people.

Chris
My daugher is going to be 20 in August... It looks like I may have finally graduated High School (again):mrgreen::eek::mrgreen::eek::mrgreen::eek:

I agree get the kids involved. I was so proud of my daughter (19) when we won 1st place "FATTIE" and I had her go up to get the trophy and $$. Gave her a cool C note and the prize $$ for being my team mate but the picture and the fun and hard work is what I'll remember forever. Oh yeah I here ya DD.

the ex and I never had any kids but I can't wait until my granddaughter is old enough to enjoy her first taste of true BBQ.

I'm gonna have her cooking by the time she's 5 :wink:

my oldest (3-1/2) loves his Smokey Joe, right now he only cooks plastic food on it, but its a start

Our little one wouldn't eat her dinner last night until she saw Mmmmmmeat come off of the grill onto her plate.

She didn't want a nuked hot dog - she wanted something off of the grill.

She has been hovering around the WSM all morning while the pastrami has been cooking.

I love having my son help, here he is helping cut the ribs he helped on, he also did a kid's Q this year, I am very proud of him.

tmpphpGuh8Ii1.jpg

great story Matt, I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing that

I agree get the kids involved. I was so proud of my daughter (19) when we won 1st place "FATTIE" and I had her go up to get the trophy and $$. Gave her a cool C note and the prize $$ for being my team mate but the picture and the fun and hard work is what I'll remember forever. Oh yeah I here ya DD.

Dats will make a brethren cry.

I'm almost 40. My dad always made me help when I was a kid whether I wanted to or not. I thought it was work. I am just now coming back to it full force.

Know what I realize? That old tough bird taught me a lot about Q. Mostly he taught me to love it. Who would have thought the old guy was a genius? He was on the pit.

And now I know.

My girls are growing up brethren... but Lauren would say it is because she is dating Phil - she shared dinner with him at Jack Stack here in KC.

both compete, Kaylin uses her Brethren saved RED weber kettle -- Brian cleaned it up and shipped it to Kaylin all the way from the left side of the world!!! Lauren decided she needed a 22 1/2" weber, but hers is green.

I love having my son help, here he is helping cut the ribs he helped on, he also did a kid's Q this year, I am very proud of him.

tmpphpGuh8Ii1.jpg

great story Matt, I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing that

Michael's son is a great competitor - made some killer 'que cooking against my girls. And he has a really sharp weber 18" kettle.... (Lauren's previous grill):razz:

Back