judging questions

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
how many judges are needed for competitions of 10 and 20 teams respectively and can kcbs contests be held on private property in residential areas (backyards)?

rule of thumb is one judge per team . . . plus table captains and other volunteers.

KCBS style competitions can be held anywhere. If you're talking a sanctioned event, I believe there are rules (guidelines) regarding the facilities but I would imagine KCBS would be happy to sanction an event in a backyard.

That would have to be one huge backyard to accommodate 20 teams . . .

And lastly, if you're talking a sanctioned event, I'd say to go straight to the source and ask them.

Good luck with it!

Not exactly... You need a multiple of 6, so for 20 teams you would need 24 judges (4 tables) plus 4 table captains.

And, this would be a minimum, meaning every judge judging every
category with no margin for error/drop out, etc. Minimum.

The tables of 6 do make life easier, but the rule would also be the same for 19 teams, and that could be as simply run with 18 judges, 3 tables of 6, with each of the 3 tables scoring one extra entry on rotation.

The bigger difficulty is getting the turn in table person to understand that rotating the teams amongst the tables is as important as watching the clock and relabeling the boxes.

Just my opinion!

how long are judges on site during a regular kcbs contest?

No set time, but they usually arrive between 9 and 10, for a 10 or 10:30 judges meeting. That usually takes beween 30-60 minutes, then they are allowed out until about 15 till noon, when they are expected to be back in the judging room/tent. They are instructed not to talk to teams AT ALL once the judges meeting is over, until after all turn in's.

Back