Trailer and Health Department Question.

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Obviously I know that it is different in other locations. If I were to convert an enclosed cargo trailer to a "mobile kitchen," What are many of the STANDARD requirements from Health Departments? I wanted to get this certified to cook out of since I don't have a commissary.

I know it needs a 3 bay sink, separate hand sink, fresh water and grey water storage, but what else? I plan on calling my local HD next week, but thought I would get your take on it until that time comes.

Thanks in advance

This is a topic that could go on forever. LOL Every place is different like you said, the best thing is to get with your local HD and get their input. A 3 bay will be required, but what size bays and are drainboards required? We require the customer to provide us with what their local HD wants before we start their build.

Yep, here in North Texas, county over rules state and city over rules county on the regs. Keep in mind if you plan on server a particular area.

Here in MO, I'm registered in 2 counties - St. Louis and Franklin. The St. Louis permit makes my life easy, as it's a tough one one I've never had an issue with reciprocity.

NSF approved ceilings, walls and floor including all your tables and work tops.

In otherwords, easy to clean, smooth surfaces.

I just went through this with Boulder County out here in CO. As folks said it varies from place to place while I am not liscensed yet I am approved to have my trailer built out. My only advice is befriend you liecenser, and as others have said get their approval before you get your trailer built out

You'll pull your hair out dealing with city inspectors. Either they don't grasp the concept you want to operate out of a mobile auxiliary commissary that will also serve as a transport to haul your pit around.

The biggest issue is convincing some of these brain dead knuckleheads your not going to sit in a customers driveway/yard 12 hours smoking meat and that you'll need to prep food in a different location such as your home utilizing your trailer.

The 1st time you mention home, look out the zipper heads get all frizzled. "You can't use your home" I'm not you bonehead I'm cooking using my pit and trailer.

Best of luck,

here the handwashing sink has to be a minimum of 4' away or separated by a partition,lights have to be sealed(covered),you smoker has to be enclosed- whic means mosquito netting around a party canopy works,ventilation system,your 3 bay sink has to be large enough to fully immerse your largest cutting board(we use disposable),you cannot use your home kitchen for anything unless it's certified for restaurant use & has a separate exit not available to the general public..etc..etc...

but what i see people actually getting away w/ on the roadside..:rolleyes:
the health dept. doesn't work wkends

Around here (Wichita) , the sewage holding tank has to be 15% bigger than the fresh water holding tank. I am attaching the guide for Wichita, Ks. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Kansas_Mobileunitguidelines.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
Around here (Wichita) , the sewage holding tank has to be 15% bigger than the fresh water holding tank. I am attaching the guide for Wichita, Ks. Hope this helps.

That's pretty much standard everywhere. :thumb:

Back