• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Advice on Small, First Class Charcoal Grill

jrben1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new, first class charcoal grill. There's just me and the wife, so I want one smaller than 36 inches and I also want one with a hood or lid.
I am thinking about a Backwoods Chicken Little. Does anyone have experience with this grill?
I would also like any suggestions for other brands. I was also looking at the Hasty Bake Suburban model.
Thanks in advance.

It's hard to beat a weber kettle. I have a one touch gold 18.5" and love it. They come in several sizes large than that too.

Tiernan SOB-34

icookout.com

I'm assuming your definition of "first class" does not mean something a 10 year old can load in the back of the truck??? Lots of great custom makers that have their stock charcoal grills, lots more that can customize to your specs. BGE, Primo, KJ,Akorn all make small grills. First Class all the way.

Good luck- I know you requested info on a first class charcoal grill-wait for it :))

Last edited:
The Jumbo Joe is an incredible little charcoal grill with the added benefit of portability.

I picked one up from Target for $29 at end of season last summer. $59 regular price, still great value.

18.5" grill grate, you can do real 2 zone cooking, has a slide-catch for the lid, and typical Weber build.

Not sure what you mean by first class, but I'll echo the notion of a Weber 22.5 OTG. When it comes to store bought cookers Webers are first class all the way IMO.

Is portability the main concern? If so, I'd buy the little WSM (if you don't want to make your own Mini for 1/4 the cost).

Your 22.5 WSM probably wants a little friend anyway. :wink:

I vote for the weber OTG I've been chasing the perfect charcoal grill for a while. I recently obtained a weber OTG and I think my quest is over. I absolutely love it and it's verapsatility.

My other grills hardly get any use since I purchased my Weber Go Anywhere Grill. I live alone; but it is large enough to handle almost anything two people would want.

Versatile. Classic. First Class.
Sounds like a weber one touch. Get a copper gold model- just screams "classy"
:-D

Weber OTG 22.5" ?? :gossip: :noidea:

I agree that's a good grill. My Napoleon grill is essentially a copy of the 22.5 inch Weber kettle except that it has a cast iron grill with adjustable levels and is mounted on a cart.
The Tejas charcoal grill looks great but is a little bigger than I want.

Weber 22.5 OTG, you will not be sorry. I have an 18.5 also but the bigger one has just enough room for a couple of butts, a couple of chicken, 5 lbs. of wings, etc. I smaller one is good to fire up for burger and dogs and sausage.

I'm in the market for a new, first class charcoal grill. There's just me and the wife, so I want one smaller than 36 inches and I also want one with a hood or lid.
I am thinking about a Backwoods Chicken Little. Does anyone have experience with this grill?
I would also like any suggestions for other brands. I was also looking at the Hasty Bake Suburban model.
Thanks in advance.

OK, I re-read your post, and see you have budget and desire for something more flexible than even a Weber kettle.

Without any hesitation whatsoever, I recommend the Hasty Bake.

You can crank the heat about an inch under the grate, or lower down by a foot or more. It can do hot and fast or medium-low and slow. (Not really a 220 machine).

The company has been around for decades and will have parts for your grill for the foreseeable future.

It has the grill space to have several things going at once. I picked up a Legacy during the Crate and Barrel fire sale last summer and at $399 it was the biggest no-brainer in BBQ history. At $799 for the Suburban, I still think there's value there - but if you want to cook for more than 2-3, the Legacy is a better bet.

Napoleon makes an interesting charcoal grill, stainless body but don't know much about it. Have fun shopping!

Back