Traeger trouble?

TonyBen

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, I'll admit, I didn't clean my Traeger after about 3 uses and one of those uses was for pulled pork which cooked for about 10 hours. About a week ago, I used my Traeger for shishkabob's and after 10 minutes, I got and ERR on the display. I turned the knob to off and back on again. The fire kept going with no problem. Then about 5 minutes later, the display was dead. I was running the unit at 325. It was 70 degrees outside so not a hot day.

I troubleshot down to a popped circuit breaker in one of the garage outlets. I reset the CB and it popped 5 minutes later. This continued for about an hour. We stuck the bobz on the indoor grill and I emptied out the hopper. I kept resetting the CB so I could empty out the pellets and let the fire burn out.

After there was no more fire and no more pellets, the auger turned without issue and the fans kept going. After letting the unit cool, I cleaned out the firepot and ran it for 4 hours with no fire or pellets with no issue.

Then I added pellets and fire to a clean pot and ran for another few hours with no trouble. I used it again last night for sausages and no issues.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone else has had a Traeger pop circuit breakers if you didn't clean it. I am wondering if a pot full of ash could cause backpressure to the fans or something and cause the internal electronics to overheat or the fans to work too hard. We had a few days of hard rain but the grill was covered and the pellets were dry. I'm wondering if the ash in the firepot gathered humidity and maybe caused some trouble.

Thoughts?

Is it on a ground fault breaker? Sometimes if the breakers/circuits are damp, they will pop easily.

Mine will pop a GFI sometimes. A bad hot rod will cause a GFI to pop everytime. Try unplugging the purple and white wire from the controller and see what happens. Call George at Traeger Service, he will take care of it.

Yes, it's a GFI outlet that was popping, not a main CB. I will call George if it happens again. The good thing is that I live 5 or 10 miles from the Traeger HQ (if it is indeed in Hillsboro, OR). :)

Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't cleaned mine in a couple months and cook almost every weekend never happened to me but like they said above when my rod was bad is when I had my problem with it.

Nope, it's avery beefy 25' extension cord. It must have been the humidity or dampness in the air. I hope not. It could pour a damper on my winter if I can't use my grill for 7 months.

Traeger thoughts

TonyBen, responding to your speculation... the lingering pellets and/or ash in the firebox could be soaked but that small amount would be VERY unlikely to cause such a problem. Now if your firebox was overflowing with wet pellets but you're just talking moisture not really wet...well. Look elsewhere for the cause. My model 75 pops a particular GFCI in my house whenever I forget and plug it into the "wrong" outlet but that's an in-home wiring problem not the fault of the cooker. Try plugging it into another circuit if it happens again. No kiddin. Calling the techies at Traeger can be a good experience or a funky one, depending upon what mood ya catch 'em in and/or how busy they are...I swear. Still a good company and a good product. Don't give up!

Like Fireman Pete sayd, typically, I've seen that when a GFCI pops on these types it the Ignitor. And since you don't get fire now, that's the case.

Just start the fire manually.

One caution for all pelletheads, clean the firepot. Continued use without cleaning that ashed tends to create a solidified ash around the ignitor and this appears to cause the problem of burning out the ignitor somehow.

Russ

I like my Traeger when it works!!!!! In the year I have had it (Brand New) I have had to work on it numerous times. Breaks down a lot!!!!!

My BrinkMann PitMaster and ALL of my other Stick Burners have NEVER broke down on me one time.

Go Figure!!!!

Stick Burners Rule!!!!!! And Always Will!!!!!

Back