Comp Classes?

Jeff Hughes

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Who's done the Grey/Trigg, YankeeBBQ, or Davis class?

Was it worth the bucks?

Would you do another one from a different instructor?

Here's some feedback from Plowboy about the Lotta Bull class from Lynchburg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25201&highlight=lotta+bull+class

I also recall a few took the Yankee BBQ class and they seem to be achieving excellent scores in competitions that followed. Our own Dr. BBQ, put on an excellent Brethren only class in NY last year as well.

I think each person needs to be realistic about what they get out of a class. If you've been around a while cooking at home/comp and reading online, you'll probably have seen, heard about or tried many similar things. If anything, the biggest takeaways you'll probably get is to pay attention to the small things. You can go out an copy everything they do, but more often I think many are trying to learn a few new things that they can tweak to their existing process.

Good Luck !!

I did the I Smell Smoke!!!(yankeebbq) class and I would highly recommend it.I think any information you can gather is a good thing. You might not cook or do things exactly like the instructor does. But it does open your eyes to what other people are doing, and thats a good thing!

Jeff, I would attend the Fast Eddie/Paul Shotte class in December in Ponca City. You get two cooks, two styles and lots of fun. It more reasonably priced and you get a great experience.
Merl

Chris Lilly did a great job out here for us in California
The best class I was ever at was QN4Us Introduction to Competition BBQ
I served as Class Administrator and was really surprised how much the Guys gained in one weekend
We will be doing the class in 2008 also site TBD

Both Johnny/Rod and Mike do fantastic classes for an experienced cook and competitor. Yes they are worth the money IMHO. But understand they show you how they cook. You need to know how to cook good BBQ to get the most out of the class. You need to be comfortable enough with your cooker to translate their processes to work for you on your cooker.

It's not a silver bullet and you need to take what they tell you and work with it. I spent 2 months practicing cooking chicken and ribs after the Mike Davis class. Results in competition since Chicken - did not place, 1st, 2nd and 1st. Ribs - did not place, 3rd, 3rd 2nd. I think the classes have paid for themselves. In 6 years I never had TOY points in chicken and this year so far 28 points. I'll certainly be in the top 100 nationally and maybe the top 50 this year and only do 7 contests including the Royal.

thanks for the great info on what you got out of the Mike Davis Class. Im hoping to take his class sometime next year.

Both Johnny/Rod and Mike do fantastic classes for an experienced cook and competitor. Yes they are worth the money IMHO. But understand they show you how they cook. You need to know how to cook good BBQ to get the most out of the class. You need to be comfortable enough with your cooker to translate their processes to work for you on your cooker.

It's not a silver bullet and you need to take what they tell you and work with it. I spent 2 months practicing cooking chicken and ribs after the Mike Davis class. Results in competition since Chicken - did not place, 1st, 2nd and 1st. Ribs - did not place, 3rd, 3rd 2nd. I think the classes have paid for themselves. In 6 years I never had TOY points in chicken and this year so far 28 points. I'll certainly be in the top 100 nationally and maybe the top 50 this year and only do 7 contests including the Royal.

Back