logo

What To Use To Probe A Brisket?

104timberwolf

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Getting ready to throw on a nice 10 pounder I picked up a couple of days ago and, following the advice I've read here, going to use the probe method for doneness.

What's the best tool to accomplish this? Thanks everyone!

I use my thermopen too - double duty, but anything thin would work - bamboo or thin metal skewer works good.

I find that bamboo can have more resistance than metal probes. I would stick with an ice pick or thermometer probe. Typically have my maverick probe in until 196. Then I pull it out and use it every ~30 mins until done. Never looking at the temp after.

Just find one thing. Calibrate yourself to it. And always use the same thing and you'll be good.

I have a custom Thirdeye probe as well that works great, but since my Thermapen is always in my pocket at competitions that's what I use most often. Find something that you like to use and stick to it, don't switch up.

DSCF0066Modified2.jpg

I used a bamboo skewer yesterday and felt too much resistance. Let it go an hour more, still felt resistance. Picked up a metal probe and slid in like butter. Ended up with an over cooked brisket

I used a bamboo skewer yesterday and felt too much resistance. Let it go an hour more, still felt resistance. Picked up a metal probe and slid in like butter. Ended up with an over cooked brisket

Need to adjust your feel of probe tender with a skewer if that is your problem.

Back