• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Austin TX BBQ Road Trip

Mammoth Mountain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rain
I am headed down to Austin TX the first 4 days of March. I want to hit as many Great BBQ places. I plan on Franklin's, The Salt Lick , and The Countyline. I have never been to Austin so I don't have a clue as where to eat some good Q. Any suggestions? I am flying into San Antonio and driving to Austin.

Those three are good. Also been to Iron Works BBQ in Austin - pretty good as well. Lot's of good Q, as you know, in the area - you will not go hungry.

I used to go to Sam's on east 12th back in the 80's. I loved it then, have no idea what it's like now. They're known for serving mutton.

I also used to love the Tamale House at 51st and Airport - good cheap Mexican food.

Neither of these places are fancy at all, but I remember the food and people being great.

I am headed down to Austin TX the first 4 days of March. I want to hit as many Great BBQ places. I plan on Franklin's, The Salt Lick , and The Countyline. I have never been to Austin so I don't have a clue as where to eat some good Q. Any suggestions? I am flying into San Antonio and driving to Austin.

I was going to cut and paste the phone numbers and address, but I found this link. There are many BBQ joints in Texas, and a lot of them are a small drive around the Austin area. It may take a day trip from Austin to hit some of the great ones. It will help if you have access to a GPS. Hope this helps and welcome to Texas!:

http://amazingribs.com/one_nation_under_sauce/austin_barbecue.html

Head east out of San Antonio to Luling and hit City Market, then go north to Lockhart to hit Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's on your way up to Austin.

Franklin's in Austin is a time commitment since you have to show up so early, but is well worth it. Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ and a great overall experience. County Line is not in the league of the other joints.

Mueller's in Taylor has always been excellent for me and worth the extra effort.

Remember to check out the hours these joints are open. Some of the best ones close early and are not open on Sunday.

Head east out of San Antonio to Luling and hit City Market, then go north to Lockhart to hit Smitty's, Black's and Kreuz's on your way up to Austin.

Franklin's in Austin is a time commitment since you have to show up so early, but is well worth it. Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ and a great overall experience. County Line is not in the league of the other joints.

Mueller's in Taylor has always been excellent for me and worth the extra effort.

Remember to check out the hours these joints are open. Some of the best ones close early and are not open on Sunday.

I've eaten at City Market many times - its a good BBQ joint for sure.

Those are about all, I don't really go out for bbq, but if I did I would go to Franklins it's the best authentic q joint you'll eat at tell I build my own trailer:biggrin1:

The Austin/SanAntonio area is surrounded by the Texas Hill Country, which is where THE BEST BBQ can be found.

Lockhart calls it's self the Capital of Texas BBQ, for good reason. You have Smitty's Market, Blacks BBQ and Kreuz Market, all in one small town. All three are easily in the top ten, IMO.

I also like Coopers in Llano, as well as Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor. I also like The Salt Lick, but some people think it is too commercial. I use their rub recipe a lot -- equal parts k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.

There are way too many good places in the Hill Country to hit in four days, especially if you have other things to do.

Just remember, the signature Texas BBQ is brisket, and the Traditional Hill Country brisket is rubbed with salt and pepper only. Get some of that.

CD

If you see Elgin or New Braunfels sausage, don't think. Just eat.

as scrumptious says, hit up jmueller. Also a lockhart adventure, you have 4 to choose there, kruez, smitty's, black's, chisolm trail. Black's has consistently put out my favorite brisket there. I actually prefer black's brisket at it's peak over franklin as it has a more pronounced bark.

Another place worth the trip that was the hypebeast a few years ago -
snow's bbq in up in lexington.

Also of note if you are in Austin - micklethwait craft meats, sam's, stiles switch.

I'd honestly pass on rudy's, county line, and salt lick. I don't like being a naysayer, but county line and salt lick are pretty much clusterfarked all the time and just kind of pales in comparison to all your other options. Rudy's is what it is, ie, you were on your way home and realized there is no food in the kitchen and oh hey rudy's is right here lemme just turn off and grab some take out. I would not go out of my way for it.

tl;dr
hit up j mueller
brave the line at franklin (bring booze)
take a trip out to lockhart / taylor / elgin / lexington
if you have time leftover try
sam's, micklethwait, and stiles switch.

Don't have any suggestions that haven't been mentioned above (have been to the Big 3 in Lockhart & Salt Lick in Driftwood and can recommend all of them. Salt Lick is BYOB so take a cooler.

Speaking of beer, if you're into craft beer Austin has a lot of cool breweries. A good place to try some (or get some to go) is the Whip-In. (i'm at work & their website is blocked to me)

Another stop your wife might like is the flagship location of Whole Foods (at Sixth Street & Lamar) http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lamar/

Salt Lick is BYOB so take a cooler.

I 2nd that , beer from there is expensive and its a busy place , so you will have time to kill , Coopers in New Braunfels is good , The Grist Mill in Gruene is awesome , and Clear Springs Restaurant has great fried catfish , there is more than smoked meat in Texas :biggrin1:

Hah, in Austin today had Franklins BBQ this morning. Now the craft beer situation. Well as i'm typing this, sitting here drinking a Ballast Point Victory at Sea at http://hopfieldsaustin.com they have one of the best craft brew selections around. Further south downtown around 6th street you will find many gastropubs with good selections in tap.

20130219_153204_zpsa04fd756.jpg

20130219_153222_zps23302e93.jpg

Gristmill is OVER RATED! Atmosphere is great and that appeals to the tourists but the food is meh. If you want great food in Gruene go down the street to Gruene River Grill (owned by the same people as Clear Springs) Best CFS in New Braunfels!

Back