Looking for a last minute suggestion to finish off my ribs in about 3 hours...

Rez90

Reaction score
I decided to do 2 racks of spare ribs in my WSM at the last minute today. I sent the wife to BJ's early this afternoon and she came home with 2 racks. I removed the membrane and decided not to trim them. Keeping it gangsta :-D

I rub'd them with frenches yellow and two different store bought rubs. They spent 3 hours at about 200ish and about 45 minutes ago i wrapped them in foil. One rack with parkay, raw sugar and the sauce i'm basting with. The other with the same exempt i used tiger sauce.

They are going to stay in the foil for 2 hours total and then they will come off. They are usually done at that point except for a little baste time.

I'm wondering if i should do something different to finish them off. I think at some point i read that throwing them on a hot grill was good to tighten up the skin and caramelize the sauce...anyone do this?

I'm still learning. Any advice is appreciated. How do you guys finish off your ribs? :becky:

thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

The last two times I did ribs on my UDS I finished them on a hot grill while saucing. I was very pleased with the results. The great thing about BBQ is experimenting with different techniques. You may like them better that way, you might not. But you will have tried something new.

Just grill the ribs like you would chicken, then wrap in foil for about 1-1.5 hrs and there done.

On my UDS (should be very similar to your WSM) I normally cook mine in just over three hours, but I cook at 230-250 depending on the breeze and outside temperature. I cook them 1:15/1/:45, with the last 45 minutes being out of the foil. When I put them into the foil, I spritz them with some apple juice.

200ish is awefully low (aka. unnecessarily slow) for ribs particularly. I'll cook ribs around 275 and bump to 300ish if I'm feeling the need for speed.

I have the sauce pre-warmed, so when we open the ribs up from foiling I brush on a very thin layer of sauce (because I like to actually taste the meat a little) and set them on the table to eat.

What Gainesville said is also true. There's no 1 way that suits everyone. My father loves the taste of a thick sauce literally blackened (ala. burned) onto the meat. I happen to find that disgusting. Doesn't mean I'm right. He likes it one way; I like it the opposite.

Oh, by the way, there's no skin on ribs. You're only hardening/toughening the meat.

This last time on the UDS I went 2 hours on the grill and 1 hour foiled. Put a bit of apple juice and some honey in the foil. Cooked at 230 and then on a hot grill for the saucing. Next time I may cut the foiled time back to 45 minutes.

Good info thanks.

Regarding a "hot" grill....what temp are you guys talking about? 400? 500?

Thanks much.

I threw mine on the keg at about 400. Lid stayed open as they were only on long enough to sauce and flip. I did two coats on the meat side and one on the bone side. Then they headed to the kitchen. Family said they were great.

Back