Sausage Stuffing Help

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I got a 5# Sausage Stuffer from Northern Tool. I've used it to make sausage about three times now. The sausage is pretty tasty stuff, but it is a lot of work to stuff it. I'm thinking I'm not doing it the easiest way.

I'm using Collagen casings from Sausage Maker. I'm trying to make links like 6" long and 1/4" diameter so they can be grilled up individually. I've searched the internet and watched some videos and tried a couple of ways to make the links. It seems like the only way that works for me is to: Crank holding the casing back so it completely fills the casing, stop, tie off both ends, crank, stop, tie off both ends... very slow.

Can anyone give me some advice or post a link to a video or something. It would be much appreciated.

I tie the first end, then crank off the length I want for a link.
Tie it off with a surgeon's knot. Easey Peasey. :grin:
I only need one tie because I smoke my sausages and the collagen skin will keep it's shape on the ends when I seperate the links.
Then, the little scrap ties are discarded and links go into vacu-sack for storage.

Works quite well for me.

If you are not smoking them, then this would probably not work for you.

Good Luck

TIM

I think the method is to fill the whole length leaving a little loose ie. not bursting, and then spin the links onto the casing. Meaning you pinch it in two spots and twist the link in the center. Works for me.

I think the method is to fill the whole length leaving a little loose ie. not bursting, and then spin the links onto the casing. Meaning you pinch it in two spots and twist the link in the center. Works for me.

That is the procedure for natural casings.

The discussion is about Colagen casings which will not twist and gotta be tied.

TIM

thanks.

I have seen with natural casings, they can just twist. I've been using collagen because of cost and easier... maybe this is false economy...

It sounds like I'm doing it right. I was just hoping there was an easier way.

I just use natural, hogs intestine so i know nothing about the collagen, but they arent that diff in price are they? I just dont know.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

thanks.

I have seen with natural casings, they can just twist. I've been using collagen because of cost and easier... maybe this is false economy...

It sounds like I'm doing it right. I was just hoping there was an easier way.

the only time I use collagen is for snack sticks. not sure of "mm" but they end up being about 1/2"- to 5/8" in diameter. Never seen 1/4". I just pinch every so often then tie at the "pinch".

For most sausages, I feel you're better off using natural hog casings. Slight learning curve but they work best for most sausages.

Back