Anyone cook pasta in milk, 1/2 & 1/2, etc??

BackYardRob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I'm running an experiment and could use some experience to save a few steps. I made a 1lb box of pasta and determined it needed to absorb 2 1/2 cups of water to reach al dente. To further my experiment, I'm wondering if any Brethren have made pasta with milk, 1/2 & 1/2, cream, or a mix of dairy and water, and how it turned out. Don't necessarily need the amount of dairy, just how the pasta was after cooking. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!!

I've added pasta to a pan that contained cream when making homemade hamburger helper.

Read a story last week about lightly toasting box pasta before putting it in water. Seems worth a try IMO.

I'm pretty sure there are some mac and cheese recipes floating around on this site, that call for raw pasta being added and cooking within the concoction.

My family and I like the variety of, I think it's called, Pasta sides, and some of those require milk added to the water, so I'm sure that it's possible.

We use boxed rice as sides often. The recipe calls to brown the vermicelli in butter and add 2 1/2 cups water and simmer. I usually make it 1 cup water, 1 1/2 cups milk. Always turns out fine. I think creamier.
Ed

My family and I like the variety of, I think it's called, Pasta sides, and some of those require milk added to the water, so I'm sure that it's possible.

These are from KNORR and I use them too.
Mix 1 1/2 cups water with 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a boil, then
simmer for 8 minutes.

Don't see why other pasta wouldn't work also.

Thanks for the input. I learned the best way is to al dente cook pasta as I've done for years. Very interesting responses, though.

Yes. It's awesome and generally referred to as Monticello's Macaroni, because Thomas Jefferson brought the recipe back to the US from Paris.

Here is one LINK to a recipe.

Please explain, what the hell is milk steak? Curious, not mocking.

I think he is refering to one of Guga Foods ( aka sous vide everything ) Youtube channel. He does a lot of clickbait experiments to get viewers to watch his sponsor loaded videos. Anyway, he adds a $hit ton of powdered milk to his steaks and lets them rest in the fridge before he grills them.

BTW, feel free to mock. lol

I think he is referring to one of Guga Foods ( aka sous vide everything ) YouTube channel. He does a lot of clickbait experiments to get viewers to watch his sponsor loaded videos. Anyway, he adds a $hit ton of powdered milk to his steaks and lets them rest in the fridge before he grills them.

BTW, feel free to mock. lol

Actually, there is such a thing. Steak boiled in milk:
https://www.wenthere8this.com/milk-steak/

Back