Spatchcocking

J

JamesTX

So, this weekend, I spatchcocked my first chicken. It turned out great and I was really happy with the taste Much more of a grilled flavor compared to my normal way of doing it - beerbutt - which results in a smokier flavor.

I was wondering, would I get this same difference in flavor if I cooked a brisket directly over coals, ala UDS, instead of on an offset smoker?

Thanks.
James

I was wondering, would I get this same difference in flavor if I cooked a brisket directly over coals, ala UDS, instead of on an offset smoker?

James, I always use some sort of heat shield between the brisket and the fire. Brisket takes so much longer than chicken that - even at 220 - you'll likely end up with a with a big chunk of jerky.

Doesn't matter which hot smoker I'm using; something, even if it's just an old cookie sheet covered with foil goes between the fire and the brisket.

Dave

standard lid or dome lid on the UDS, top grate vs. mid grate, there are some varibles here

My UDS with a flat lid makes a fine juicy brisket without any sort of heat shield.

I can't be the only one eh guys?

Yes!! I don't use a heat shield in my UDS when doing brisket. I smoke them fat side down and keep the side thermo at 200*.

Absolutely - since I made my UDS, that's the only place my briskets go!

James, I always use some sort of heat shield between the brisket and the fire. Brisket takes so much longer than chicken that - even at 220 - you'll likely end up with a with a big chunk of jerky.

Doesn't matter which hot smoker I'm using; something, even if it's just an old cookie sheet covered with foil goes between the fire and the brisket.

Dave

What type of smoker are you using? Most of us have modded our off-sets with a heat baffle, but I'm a little curious about your set-up that would require what you described.

Always looking for new techniques to learn.

James, it depends on how close to the fire your brisket is. Are you actually cooking on a UDS? Or on something similar?

I don't have a UDS, but I've seen the results that the UDS guys here get. I do all my smoking on my BGE, and use a heat shield for smoking, because there isn't enough space between the fire adn the meat. I might build a UDS in the future, and the fire will be plenty far away for a direct brisket then. :cool:

James, it depends on how close to the fire your brisket is. Are you actually cooking on a UDS? Or on something similar?

I don't have a UDS, but I've seen the results that the UDS guys here get. I do all my smoking on my BGE, and use a heat shield for smoking, because there isn't enough space between the fire adn the meat. I might build a UDS in the future, and the fire will be plenty far away for a direct brisket then. :cool:

I only have a NB offset. To do the chicken, I just put the coals in the main part and put the chicken above them.

I want to build a UDS, as soon as I find the time and a barrel. I was so impressed with the difference in taste that I was curious if the brisket would show the same differences.

The fat dripping in the fire is the uds signature.

That stamp will go on anything you put in a uds.

Back