• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Restoring a free weber kettle

AJP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was driving down the street and I saw a weber 22.5" kettle in a guys driveway and what appeared to be a brand new one in the box. Stopped and chatted with him, confirmed he had just bought a new OTS 22.5", asked what he wanted for the old one, he said take it I was gonna throw it out.

It isn't the prettiest Weber out there but hey for free why not. The first thing I noted was that the bottom had a wood handle and the top had the plastic. Upon further inspection the bottom is date coded ER (1996) and the top is DU (2002). The bottom is also missing 2 daisy wheels so there is no real way to conserve the date code sadly. It was bent a little here and there but if you do it right the top fits on the bottom. There are a few spots of rust but over all it is in fairly good shape.

First thing I did was take the plastic handle of the smokey joe in the garage and change it out for the wood. So I now have 2 plastic handles on the kettle and one wood on the joe. Next I called Weber and ordered 3 new daisy wheels and the missing ash catcher. When the parts get here I will update with pics.

My question is for the rusty part would it be best to sand it down some and paint with glossy high temp grill paint? Also in the future I plan to order some of those fancy wood handles that Marty Leach sells, but it isnt in the budget right now. Also what is the best way to clean this up it has a ton of burnt on goodies here and there.

20110706151907461.jpg

20110706151926367.jpg

20110706151939359.jpg

20110706152245853.jpg

20110706152306186.jpg

Where the handle is pushed down into the lid, if you put the lid upside down on a 5 gallon bucket and press good and firm on the inside of the lid where the dent is it should pop right out.

Free is a good score.

Where the handle is pushed down into the lid, if you put the lid upside down on a 5 gallon bucket and press good and firm on the inside of the lid where the dent is it should pop right out.

Free is a good score.

Good tip, I was wondering how to tackle that.

An overnight soak in Easy Off oven cleaner in a plastic leaf bag is a winner for getting off the crusties. A wire wheel on a drill will take care of the rest. I like to put small stainless bolts with washers, nut side up, on the lid handle when fixing up an old timer.

An overnight soak in Easy Off oven cleaner in a plastic leaf bag is a winner for getting off the crusties. A wire wheel on a drill will take care of the rest. I like to put small stainless bolts with washers, nut side up, on the lid handle when fixing up an old timer.

I was hoping to avoid the wire wheel for now, don't want to ruin it.

The wire wheel doesn't hurt kettles a bit. I have restored over a dozen kettles and have always been amazed by the finish on a weber. The only way you can hurt the darn things is to let ash get wet and sit for a long, long time. But it's your kettle and if you don't want to use a wire wheel than don't. But they do a great job cleaning them up and quickly.

I always pick these up on Trash day/Spring Clean up day. For some reason here the legs tend to be broken, so I get steel car wheel and set the kettle in the wheel. makes a great set up for camping we build a camp fire when it burns down you add the grill and you can cook your whole dinner on it!

The Boy Scouts in our troop loved it! No more wet ground and hard to light fires!

Got my handles in today. If it wasn't 105 outside I would be able to work on it.

20110711184029485.jpg

Back