• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which smoker for a restaurant?

which smoker?

• 2 Ole Hickory CTO

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • 2 FEC 120

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 1 southern pride electric

• other

• Total voters
Another update. Apparently the existing hood/vent was put in without a permit, and the code inspector is well aware of that fact. He told our engineer that if we even think about touching the existing hood, we'd have to bring the whole thing into compliance, which means running duct 3 stories up to the roof.
Also, because southern Pride doesn't make that big electric smoker anymore, they wouldn't give the engineer any specs on it. Which leads me to believe they'll be a hassle about getting replacement parts for it as well.

Another update. Apparently the existing hood/vent was put in without a permit, and the code inspector is well aware of that fact. He told our engineer that if we even think about touching the existing hood, we'd have to bring the whole thing into compliance, which means running duct 3 stories up to the roof.
Also, because southern Pride doesn't make that big electric smoker anymore, they wouldn't give the engineer any specs on it. Which leads me to believe they'll be a hassle about getting replacement parts for it as well.

That's a total scumbag move on southern pride, way to support their product. I can't imagine cookshack giving you that hassle. If the fec120 is a no go, they do have electric smokers as well.

Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope you can find something that will fit in the space. Are you still looking at putting the smoker where the sink currently is? If that is the plan, do you have to run your exhaust up 3 stories?

Sorry to hear about the problems. Hope you can find something that will fit in the space. Are you still looking at putting the smoker where the sink currently is? If that is the plan, do you have to run your exhaust up 3 stories?

Basically to be to code, the exhaust can't vent within 10' of the property line, which means up 3 stories and back over the roof 10'. If we don't touch the existing vent, it can be out of code, but there's not enough existing hood space to have a smoker, fryer, and grill under it. We're going to find out the cost to have a new hood put in over where the sink currently is, and maybe raise the existing hood at the same time since it's so low (4'11").

That's a total scumbag move on southern pride, way to support their product. I can't imagine cookshack giving you that hassle. If the fec120 is a no go, they do have electric smokers as well.

I spoke with someone in the service department yesterday, and he was incredibly helpful. I asked why they don't make that unit anymore (it's basically 3 times the capacity of their smaller electric units) and he said that it was so big, that the recovery time was extremely long. His example was that if you loaded it up with cold chicken, by the time it finally got up to temp (325) the chicken would be done. He also said they have a brand new unit coming out that is a fixed rack gas burner, roughly the same size but a little smaller capacity. I'm supposed to find out pricing and specs on that shortly.

I spoke with someone in the service department yesterday, and he was incredibly helpful. I asked why they don't make that unit anymore (it's basically 3 times the capacity of their smaller electric units) and he said that it was so big, that the recovery time was extremely long. His example was that if you loaded it up with cold chicken, by the time it finally got up to temp (325) the chicken would be done. He also said they have a brand new unit coming out that is a fixed rack gas burner, roughly the same size but a little smaller capacity. I'm supposed to find out pricing and specs on that shortly.

Yeah but it's still one of their products and in my mind not providing the specs for it to help you install it is a big red flag on how they serve existing customers.

There is an owners forum on the cookshack site, maybe you could get some real world info and owner experience info on their electric smokers there.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
I do not have electric Southern Prides, however the service Is TOP NOTCH! I was vendiing and the gen sets supplied were not set up and shot 408 volts through my cooker. cSouthern Pride, Doug, worked with me on the phone for an hour and he bypassed the controller by using a doorbell transformer and a togle switch. I had to turn propane burner and fans on off manually, however was able to get rotissier and up and cookiung.. and on Saturday morn fed ex brought my parts and Doug called me to see if I was up and running....Southern Pride Service has been awesome everytime I have called..I am sure if you called and ask for Doug, he could rustle up some info for you.. Go with a Southern Pride, you will kiss your lucky stars!!!

I do not have electric Southern Prides, however the service Is TOP NOTCH! I was vendiing and the gen sets supplied were not set up and shot 408 volts through my cooker. cSouthern Pride, Doug, worked with me on the phone for an hour and he bypassed the controller by using a doorbell transformer and a togle switch. I had to turn propane burner and fans on off manually, however was able to get rotissier and up and cookiung.. and on Saturday morn fed ex brought my parts and Doug called me to see if I was up and running....Southern Pride Service has been awesome everytime I have called..I am sure if you called and ask for Doug, he could rustle up some info for you.. Go with a Southern Pride, you will kiss your lucky stars!!!

Well, whoever I spoke with in the support area was super helpful.

Well, whoever I spoke with in the support area was super helpful.

Sounds like maybe your contractor got some miscommunication problems or didn't as the right person. Never have heard of a bad experience with SP.

Back